scissor lift

PostPost by: alan.barker » Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:56 am

I think it's better if you have the option of lifting under the Tyres.
Drive shafts don't like hanging around :shock:
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Peter +2 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:25 pm

mikealdren wrote:This looks a good buy:
https://www.automotechservices.co.uk/pr ... ssor-lift/
anyone tried it?

I have been mulling over their AS-7532B 3.2T Mid Rise Scissor Lift:

I haven't pulled the trigger yet, so likewise would be interested in any views.

Thanks

Peter
1968 +2 BRM
Peter +2
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: jono » Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:17 am

I bought a two post lift from Automech 3 years ago and it's been excellent.

For the Plus 2 I made two spreaders out of 100 x 50 timber with 10mm closed cell foam glued along their length - they go the full length under each sill and are then supported by the lift pads at either end.

The Plus 2 spent several months at a time stored on the lift with another car underneath, as well as for servicing and general maintenance without any ill effects.

If you have the height I would recommend the 2 post - it's so much more versatile. I even service my daily Audi on it

It cost around £1250 at the time which I thought was a complete bargain. Son and I installed it - garage extension so I had the floor constructed to suit. Best thing I ever bought.
jono
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alanr » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:01 am

Peter +2 wrote:
mikealdren wrote:This looks a good buy:
anyone tried it?

I have been mulling over their AS-7532B 3.2T Mid Rise Scissor Lift:

I haven't pulled the trigger yet, so likewise would be interested in any views.

Thanks

Peter

I too have for a while been looking at scissor lift options but so far haven't yet bought.
I came to the conclusion that the Automotech 7532 ideally need to be permanently flush mounted to the floor which then makes it not moveable so ruled it out for me. I thought the 7530 version being portable and therefore moveable may suit me better.
However I also did notice that all the Automotech lifts have pneumatic operated safety locks which need a separate airline to operate the lift as well as a 30 amp circuit breaker to operate the lift. Most of the other scissor lift manufacturers use an electronic safety solenoid which I personally thought was a simpler solution to the safety lock operation.

Alan
Alan
'71 +2 S130/ 5speed Type9.
alanr
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: George S L » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:40 am

My thought process was to allow access to all wheels ,brakes, suspension etc and the lift is out of the way i.e under the car. I don,t have room for a two post. I had to put in a 16a supply on a "C" type breaker .The lift uses power to raise and lowers under it,s own weight, the locking system is on a ratchet which lifts off when you press the lower button there is a lock button which when pressed lowers the lifter without lifting the lock so when the pawl reaches a notch it engages and locks the lifter to that height. Works well and very substantial.
George
Elan+2
Mk2 Mx5
George S L
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Peter +2 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:54 pm

Gents,

All good info thanks and I guess we are all clearly dealing with what best suits our own individual needs. I would love a two poster but I also cannot fit one in. I was very impressed when I saw the Strongman products at the London Classic Car show a few years back and started talking to them first. However I was directed to the 7532B - Automotech Services by Strongman as I have a shallow metre wide pit to straddle which ruled out the Strongman products. Allegedly the 7532B lifts from Zero and is low enough to drive over. I will need to have tailored lines made to straddle pit void but otherwise I should ok once I work out where to place the control unit.

The 7532 does not need a separate pneumatic feed as it does not have the pneumatic safety locks. Whilst i like the idea of the safety locks I been assured that the two ramps operate fully synchronised and will not drop. Reassuring to know but nothing like a proper safety locking mechanism.

The quest continues.

P
1968 +2 BRM
Peter +2
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: alanr » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:11 pm

Peter,

Have you seen the utube videos of a guy installing a Automotech 7532. Thought it might help your decision making process.
The non-pneumatic safety valves on the 7532 duly noted

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CFAiaK10xc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AX7B6iKGzc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqMknA0nKRk

Alan.
Alan
alanr
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Peter +2 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:16 pm

Thanks Alan,

Very helpful videos which make me think the Automotech 7532 is for me.

Now i just need to work out where to place the control box as space for me is very tight.

Cheers.
1968 +2 BRM
Peter +2
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: The Veg » Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:50 pm

For those in the USA, right now there is a $250 discount on the 5000-lb QuickJack from either Costco or The Homeless Despot (not sure about other retailers, check them too if you have a favourite). I don't know when the discount expires at HD, but it runs through Nov 30 at Costco. Also the Costco one comes bundled with some accessories that you may or may not want. Free shipping from either. I just bought one!
1970 Elan Plus 2 (not S) 50/2036
2012 BMW R1200GS
"It just wouldn't be a complete day if I didn't forget something!" -Me
The Veg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: The Veg » Sat Dec 05, 2020 4:49 pm

Took a few days for all the boxes to arrive, but I've got the QuickJack together and gave it a test with the Lotus. Works a treat, and it's going to make life so much easier!

Should be an improvement for the modern cars too. I have a 2013 Mazda that has a very low and long overhang ahead of the front wheels. Until now I had been using a pair of plastic ramps to get the front end up for oil-changes, but the overhang was sufficient to push the ramps along the floor before the tyres made contact, unless I put some scrap-wood on the floor ahead of them to get the wheels higher before hItting the ramps. I also used some old shop rugs-underneath all that to reduce slipping on the epoxy-painted floor. Convoluted pain in the arse to set all that up! And then there's my wife's Challenger, a meaty two-ton beast that I never liked getting up on the ramps. I may also get the motorcycle-platform for it at some point too, since I have a big heavy BMW GS that requires lying on the floor to do do oil-changes.

The QJ frames, when unloaded, can be easily slid-around on that epoxied floor though, so Mbell's mod may not be necessary! :mrgreen:
Last edited by The Veg on Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1970 Elan Plus 2 (not S) 50/2036
2012 BMW R1200GS
"It just wouldn't be a complete day if I didn't forget something!" -Me
The Veg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gjz30075 » Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:31 am

I, too, just ordered the Quckjack, based on info from this thread, and others. I'm getting
the BL3500. Many deals to be had on the BL5000 but many measurements indicate it
just won't work on an Elan, and I don't want to go cross wise.
Greg Z
45/0243K Sprint
45/7286 S3 SE DHC
gjz30075
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:41 pm

Hope the quick Jack's work out for you. I've had mine for about 5 years now and had a few different cars on it elan+2, bmw e39, golf, jetta and xc70. Has worked well for all of them, cars have been very solid on it and lifted them with out issue.

I admit not the right car lift for everyone but works well for my needs and a lot safer than Jack stands which I think is the main thing.
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jbeach » Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:36 am

I have had an EZ Car Lift for about 5 years and have been super-pleased with it. A friend has used my lift extensively on a BMW 2002/ e30 M3 engine transplant project and has been completely satisfied as well.

Very well-made, stable, and provides a vast open area of creeper access underneath. The only negative is it takes quite a long time to lift the car to full height - it uses an electric drill instead of pneumatic or hydraulic cylinders.

Cheers!

-John
John Beach
'69 Elan S4 DHC - A Work in Progress
jbeach
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: 111Robin » Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:49 pm

I've been using the EZ Carlift for years. I only have a standard domestic double garage so height and space are at a premium. This lift rolls around like a trolley jack and just stays underneath one of the cars when not in use. I have several sets of spacer bars to cover pretty much any car. It was most useful for doing the welding work on my Wolseley 1100 sills. I've just put my Plus 2 up on it to start a full suspension overhaul, supported on the chassis front and rear, not on the sills or body. It is a very narrow support at the rear obviously but I checked with the guy who designed and built the lift (Boytcho Manev) and he confirmed this was a tried and tested method for supporting the Elan. That in its self is another major plus for this lift, any questions or issues and you can speak directly with the designer, try doing that with a generic Chinese lift!!!. Another bonus is after removing eight screws I can put it in the boot of my car and take it anywhere which I have done when working on other peoples cars.
Attachments
Screenshot 2021-12-02 133326.jpg and
Screenshot 2021-12-02 133811.jpg and
Screenshot 2021-12-02 133938.jpg and
Screenshot 2021-12-02 133716.jpg and
Screenshot 2021-12-02 133241.jpg and
Screenshot 2021-12-02 133137.jpg and
Screenshot 2021-12-02 133040.jpg and
Screenshot 2021-12-02 132944.jpg and
111Robin
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: alanr » Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:10 pm

Hi,
What have you found is the best make/type of drill for use with raising the EZ lift?

Alan.
Alan
alanr
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PreviousNext

Total Online: