Vaseline and electric windows

PostPost by: vernon.taylor » Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:26 am

Salut

I was having a bit of trouble with the electric window of my everyday family car - it was going down slowly and coming up crooked and getting stuck, requiring me to pull it true before continuing; so I took it apart and the only slight adjustment available did nothing. It seemed to be sticking a bit on one side so out of desperation I greased the rubber window channel with vaseline - and now it's perfect !

Have I re-invented the wheel ? Any reason why I shouldn't do the same on my +2 with its reticent passenger window ?

@+

Vernon
vernon.taylor
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Keith Scarfe » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:40 am

I have used a silicone spray bought here in the UK from Halfords. Works great at making the windows slide freely but if you are too liberal with it it gets on the glass and makes the windows a bit smeary. A bit of a pain in that I have to clean them every time they go down/up. I guess any sort of lubricant would do this too so yes it works but use the minimum.
Keith Scarfe
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: theelanman » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:48 am

Keith Scarfe wrote:I have used a silicone spray

I agree....did this on mine too......
theelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: cliveyboy » Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:13 pm

The rubber seals tends to harden and get dirty, so spraying with some silicone spray softens and cleans it.
Be careful using Vasaline its petroleum based and can attack rubber.
Silicone grease is a better choice.
Clive
1972 Elan Sprint FHC
cliveyboy
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: RichardHawkins » Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:49 pm

Vernon,

I agree with Clive. Take care as you do not know how the lubricant will react with the seal.

Lotus recommend "Krytox" for elise window seal lubrication. I think Krytox is a DuPont trade name for a particular synthetic lubricant.

Richard Hawkins
RichardHawkins
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: chrisban » Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:56 pm

Mine were slow as buggery on my +2 until I cleaned up the main earth point that connects through the rear of the chassis, now they fly up and down quicker than my scenic.
chrisban
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: richardcox_lotus » Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:58 pm

Krytox is what VW recommend I use on the roof seals of my Eos. It's very expensive.
Richard
'72 Sprint
richardcox_lotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Galwaylotus » Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:10 pm

I, too, tend to stay away from petroleum-based products with rubber materials. The exception is oil filter seals where there is really no other choice - and they shouldn't be on there long enough to harden too much!! :wink:
The silicone spray works a treat on window seals and the like.
Mechanical Engineer, happily retired!

'67 S3 SE FHC

See Facebook page: W J Barry Photography

Put your money where your mouse is, click on "Support LotusElan.net" below.
Galwaylotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Gordon Sauer » Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:56 pm

Sailkote is a lubricant I have used that goes on as a spray but it's dry and so does not collect junk. I have not specifically used it on the window seals but on linkages where concern about gunk is an issueI would think the fact that it doesn't pick up things would be beneficial and I don't believe it's petroleum based but more like Teflon. Gordon Sauer
Gordon Sauer
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: vernon.taylor » Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:20 am

Salut

Oh dear - I'll clean off what I can when I get back from holiday - at least I didn't do the Plus 2 !

Gordon - Sailkote looks interesting - as does Hullkote for polishing.

@+

Vernon
vernon.taylor
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:28 pm

Another use for K Y
jelly ..Ed
dont close your eyes --you will miss the crash

Editor: On June 12, 2020, Edward Law, AKA TwinCamMan, passed away; his obituary can be read at https://www.friscolanti.com/obituary/edward-law. He will be missed.
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: