Rear hub removal tool

PostPost by: Mac 2 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:54 pm

I am well aware rear hub removal is a well discussed topic and there are proprietary tools to help with the job. The best way is to use the wheel spinner and a tool which transmits the forces onto the driveshaft. As has oft been repeated do not use a 3 leg puller as it will destroy the hub.
The improvised tool, which does work requires
1 a standard (not long reach) 15/16 AF socket
2 five or six GB 10p pieces ( our overseas members will have to improvise with their own currency)

Unscrew the hub nut reverse it and screw it back on nyloc side first until flush with the shaft.
Screw on the spinner until it just binds finger tight. Count the threads still showing on the hub (reason in a moment) then remove. Put 3 or 4 10p pieces into the socket (just fit into a bihex) place over the hub nut and gently screw the spinner on again hopefully you will have 2-3 more threads showing on the hub, if not use the required number of 10p peices to acheive this. Now for the copper hammer and heat.
The fact that the nut is in position when it goes bang should prevent any broken limbs.
Just make sure as the spinner is hammered more and more that there are always more threads showing on the hub than when you first counted if not the spinner will be bound on the hub and ineffectual.
Attachments
DSCF1394.JPG and
hopefully self explanatory
Mac 2
New-tral

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:05 pm

Well Mac2, what a way to start posting on here; good stuff, lateral thinking is a joy to behold!

I'd like to be the first to say welcome! :D
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: worzel » Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:41 pm

Hi

I have what might be a factory item(s) for this job.

Basically two steel discs about 5inch diameter and about 5/8 inch thick. One has clockwise thread the other anti.

Remove retaining nut (or rather loosen a bit) simply screw on the adaptor and use a conventional 3 eared puller.

They were given to me by a friend who when younger was a lotus fanatic- he retired to Gibraltar last year so thought I'd find them useful.

Regards

John
worzel
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:53 pm

Might be a good idea to put grease in the spinner, so that it slides easier over the socket spanner.
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ceejay » Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:24 am

Don't use a band aid solution, A good strong reliable hub puller
can be made for bolt on style hubs, and with a bit more work
also for knock on hubs. This tool has been used several times
over the past thirty one years of S2 ownership
http://elantrikbits.com/lotus-elan-blog ... ub-puller/
Live your dream-wear your passion.
http://elantrikbits.com/lotus-elan-blog/
ceejay
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Jeff@Jae » Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:08 pm

The puller adapter for knock on hubs can be rented from Lotus parts sources.
Jeff@Jae
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: