knockoff/on socket wrench

PostPost by: Bahamayellow » Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:00 pm

Anyone know where I can get these in the UK.

Sent Sarto PM and email on his website with no reply and wondered whether there was an easier way to get them or an alternative in the UK.

Regards,

Mike
Mike
1971 Lotus Elan Sprint
1963 1071 Cooper S
Bahamayellow
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: RichardS » Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:33 pm

Mike

Don't know anything about this particular tool but it was mentioned on the forum a couple of years ago and the website is still here http://www.spinitoff.com/news.htm

Richard
Lotus Elan Sprint FHC 1973
RichardS
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: jkatthehelm » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:21 pm

They're in Dunsfold in Surrey - ad in Club Lotus mag issue 1 this year - sadly mine was lent to a pal last night, let me know if you can't find it and I'll call him to get ad details.
James
66 Elan fhc, 72 Elan Plus 2S 130/5, 98 Elise 2.0l Duratec
Second Gear

PostPost by: Bahamayellow » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:30 pm

Thanks for the replies.

Unfortunately spin it off say on their website that they are reviewing the product and are not currently for sale which is a pain as the leather ended mallet is coming to its end.

Regards,
Mike
1971 Lotus Elan Sprint
1963 1071 Cooper S
Bahamayellow
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: frearther » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:11 pm

Sarto posts from time to time - maybe he'll catch your request on the forum.
Art Frederick
S2 Roadster, built in 1965, registered in 1966, No. 26/4934
Nothing else of interest at present
frearther
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Bahamayellow » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:17 pm

I sent him a PM over a week ago
Mike
1971 Lotus Elan Sprint
1963 1071 Cooper S
Bahamayellow
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: marklowe » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:26 pm

There is a ?Spin-Easy Wheel Spinner Tool? tool on page 43 of Januarys Club Lotus News. Made by Colin Denyer Motorsport in Surrey, it looks very good but a bit pricey.

Mark
marklowe
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: frearther » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:36 pm

Bahamayellow wrote:I sent him a PM over a week ago

Maybe on vacation???
Art Frederick
frearther
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:49 pm

Hi Guys,

If any help I can give you a report on Sarto's item!

Well made and simple to use. I use it with a big 3/4'' drive torque wrench and tighten the spinners to 180Lbs/ft. Problem I found was getting the buggers off again as I could not shift them using the 3/4''extension 'breaker' I was using, so I invested in a big one (said the actress to the Bishop!) I found that removal took a lot more power and am now using a 600mm long breaker with Sarto's device to remove, and torque wrench about the same length to tighten which is no trouble at all. The breaker bar and the wrench now live in the boot and the hammer is no more. I have not touched the refurbed and (re)chromed spinners with the hammer at all. I just could not bring myself to clout the superb Susan M.... exchange items with a hammer. Sacrilege!

In short.. I can recommend Sarto's tool for the job. Works! tough as old boot and simple!! Not too expensive either!

Happy days!

Alex B.... 8)
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mac5777 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:53 am

Hello Mike, I am still here and I just checked for any PMs and my email from my web site and could not find one from you. Lets try again. http://www.knockoffspinnertool.com/ I also just got something from Yahoo that asks me to give them my personal info which I think is fraud. But maybe it is why I did not get yours. I'm checking in to it. Although I have been in communication a lot lately in the UK. Maybe I accidentally deleted it ?????
Mike, I had sold out of the Lotus Elan knockoff tool and have re-run new ones that are now being chromed. I should have them available in a week. Email me using [email protected] and we can talk about how I can make amends for the system screw up. The price is still the same $139.00 USD or about 91.3 GBP 4/28/10. And thanks Alex, for your report on your favorable use of the tool.
My attempts to make my three eared Elan tool work on the Lotus 10 spoke alloys pretty much failed to work on all of those wheels. It did work on some of them but could not determine why. I thought Ian and Richard's spinitoff tool would work on the 10 spoke wheels and Colin Denyer had one that was advertised in Club Lotus mag that was pictured on the 10 spoke alloy wheel.
I just finished a new tool that fits the Halibrand type spinners at half the cost of others. They are common on Cobras and other cars. I'll post pictures and details on my website soon. I will be testing them on the open center 26R Elan type spinners to see if it will fit on them.
Thanks again,
Sarto
Attachments
0.JPG and
HALIBRAND spinner for Cobras and others
lotus elan 1966 S3 FHC
36/5785
LHD
mac5777
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: JJDraper » Sun May 02, 2010 10:23 am

I can also recommend Sarto's spinner tool. As I have fitted a set of new Minilites I was anxious not to bash them with a hammer! The tool works well and is pretty consistent with getting the torque right. I use a 60cm breaker bar and socket (socket supplied by Sarto as part of the deal). I don't have a torque wrench to measure the 160-200ftLbs, but when I had the wheels balanced, the local tyre place owner (not a chain!) was interested to see how it worked and tested the torque I put on, using 'feel'. The results were pretty consistent and accurate - to within 20ftlbs - with my efforts putting a bit too much torque on.

Because it is easy to use, I now prefer to use a little less oomph behind tightening, but check the wheels regularly.

The leather insert works well as a sacrificial layer and you have to sit the tool properly before putting any weight on it. I think I will have to get another leather insert in a year or two.

I keep it in the car at all times and the only problem I had was that the brass dome nuts seem to rattle off over time. Fortunately I keep it in a bag and they float around in the bottom of it. I also keep the breaker bar in the car, inside a length of foam pipe insulation to stop it rattling about.

Sarto answered my emails & delivery (to the UK) was fast - about a week.

Best of all it looks great! Even my wife said it looked like a piece of sculpture and endorsed the purchase on these grounds...

I would never go back to a hammer now and at the Malvern show, I gave a set of spinners to Susan Miller for refurbishing, confident that they will not get ruined by me using a copper hammer on them.

Jeremy
JJDraper
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Sun May 02, 2010 10:52 am

Hi Guys!

The post above is an exact mirror image of my experiences. I can recommend Sue's refurbed spinners also and I would add that it is difficult to bring ones' self to thump them with any hammer. It does ruin them! The tool(s) available do remove the risk of damage by accidentally clouting the car or indeed ones leg for E.G. I had an unfortunate double whammy (Literally!!) when 'doing up' the spinners, when I hit the front wing! then ricocheted off that onto my knee! Took me about half an hour to find the bloody hammer again after I launched it into a neighbours garden!

I am not risking that again.Apart from the pain, I had to repair the bodywork of my very nice +2 ...Bugger!

take care all you hammer swingers.

Alex B..... 8)
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: frearther » Sun May 02, 2010 11:57 am

I've been spending on engine, etc and haven't had the free funds to replace my spinners yet, but I use Sarto's K-O wrench nonetheless, just for the ease and safety. If you apply weight gradually and don't just jump on the breaker bar, the tool stays put on the spinner. And it's a lot easier using body weight than banging with a hammer.
Art Frederick
frearther
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: mac5777 » Sun May 02, 2010 3:10 pm

Thanks guys for all of the endorsements, I'm picking up the new knockoff tools today.
Jeremy and Art are right about keeping the knockoff tool flat against the spinner and gradually applying torque to the tool. When flat the tips grip the spinner's ears and pulls the spinner to the back of the tool that protects the face of the spinner. The nice thing about our three eared spinners, is the tool will self center if you apply pressure gradually even if the tool is slightly off.
I have purchased another Old English Saddle cow hide, tanned the old fashion way and shortly will have new leathers available.
The brass dome/cap nuts will bottom out and will strip the threads if you over tighten them. The cow hide varies slightly in thickness, as the leather dries out, the nuts will get loose. If you get to a point that a nut has bottomed out and the bolt does not seem to be tight on the leather, apply just a little pressure, careful not to strip the threads, and the nut will not loosen off of the bolt and will keep the leathers in place. They do not have to be tight to secure the leather.
Even though replacement leather can be picked up at any leather shop and cut to shape, cheap, if anyone needs new leathers that are die cut and with new brass bolts and dome/cap nuts, PM me. or email me at [email protected] They will be available next week. (today is May 2 2010)
Mike -- Bahamayellow I was unable to find your messages with Yahoo etc., I may have accidentally deleted your attempt to contact me, sorry about that!
Lets try again,
Sarto

Elliott Nicholls had purchased several knockoff spinner tools awhile back and may still have some. I have not heard from him in a while and we also had problems connecting. Here is his last E-mail address that I had.
[email protected]
lotus elan 1966 S3 FHC
36/5785
LHD
mac5777
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Bahamayellow » Wed May 05, 2010 8:14 pm

Hi Sarto

Sorry just got back from France. I have sent you an email let me know if you have any problems receiving it.

Regards,

Mike
Mike
1971 Lotus Elan Sprint
1963 1071 Cooper S
Bahamayellow
Second Gear
Second Gear

Next

Total Online: