Knockoff/on spinner tool

PostPost by: mac5777 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:18 pm

Hi all, this is what came in from Ebay UK for the new old thrust rings. They are thin compared to the Panasport built-in rings. When I get Seaamoor's newer black thrust ring for the newer alloys, I'll see if a thicker insert can be made up that fits both alloys. If the cost is reasonable I could supply the rings to all who want to use my knockoff tool on their lotus alloys for the +2's.

Later, Sarto
Attachments
DSC00001.JPG and
They appear to be newly made of steel and are shaped to fit the spinners.
lotus elan 1966 S3 FHC
36/5785
LHD
mac5777
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: mac5777 » Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:53 am

Hi all, I got the black thrust ring from Seaandmoor and here are photos showing the older style in silver that I bought off of Ebay and the newer black ring. The silver one is taller but thinner. I'm going to assume that the opening in the wheels-- works for the portion that slips into the wheel opening as they both measure the same. Both thrust ring have a rounded face that does not match the spinner's bevel but must work?? I'll be meeting with my machinist tomorrow to work up a design that thickens and bevels the outer face of the thrust ring to match the spinner's shape--- more like the panasport centers.

Later, Sarto
Attachments
DSC00013.JPG and
Notice the black ring is about 1/3 thicker.
DSC00012.JPG and
DSC00011.JPG and
This one is taller and fits deeper into the alloy wheel.
lotus elan 1966 S3 FHC
36/5785
LHD
mac5777
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: mac5777 » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:04 am

I want to let everyone know that the torque wrench that was made available to me, at a great price and was reversible-- only clicked or torque in one direction, even the dealer did not know it. So much for a great deal. The dealer has offered a KD 85054 torque wrench that does work for $121.00. I found the same one for $94.00. http://shopper.cnet.com/tools/kd-tools- ... 95904.html
Anyone still needing a torque wrench, I would go direct. And I will stick to knockoff spinner tools. Even though he said it is reversible and will torque in both direction I would confirm it as I am a little gun shy recommending anything at this point.
With too much time on hand I am designing a knockoff tool to fit the 26R Elans and will work for the Cobra and corvette spinners. All three have the hubs when fully torqued pass through the center of the spinner. And at a far less cost than my more complicated two eared version.
Now for the 10 spoke Lotus alloys --- I was surprised to find the thrust ring that Seaandmoor sent with its rounded contact surface actually raise the spinner up more than the panasport and minilite centers that are beveled to fit the spinner's contact shape.
The spinner actually sits down closer to the wheel because of the matched beveled shape. I will be picking up an actual alloy 10 spoke wheel next week and will be able to see the whole connection to a real wheel. Hopefully modify the knockoff tool to fit all of the 10 spoke Lotus alloys, not just some.

Sarto
Attachments
DSCN0097.JPG and
10 spoke Lotus alloy used on the +2s
lotus elan 1966 S3 FHC
36/5785
LHD
mac5777
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: seaandmoor » Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:33 pm

Ah - I'd been watching and waiting as I think others have too.

Yes I bought a 'reversible' wrench as well (and the man also said reversible) However, like most of them, they ARE reversible but the torque adjustment only works on the right hand side wheels of the car. The other side is like an ordinary reversible wrench - NO torque settings work.

Watch and wait for the spinner, thrust ring and wheel to be 'mated'.

All the best. Seandmoor
seaandmoor
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: RedS4 » Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:01 am

Here in Australia :mrgreen: we have Sidchrome Tools - they make an excellent REVERSABLE torque wrench (I know it is because I have unwittingly used it to undo tight nuts and it clicked!! :wink: ). It is tubular in design with the torque control setting via a pull-out knob on the end and small windows on the side to read the setting in both ft/lb and Nm.

Evan J
Evan J
Elan S4 FHC RHD 36/8569 AND White Evora S..
RedS4
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: mac5777 » Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:24 am

Hi all, with a little research, here is a torque wrench company that claims to work in both directions for those who still need a wrench that is reasonable. http://www.nationaltoolwarehouse.com/ Look up the ATD torque wrenches in search by keyword or View tools by category/by manufacturer. i spoke to them, make sure you ask for the 250 ft/lb wrench.
Thrust ring solution is still pending
Sarto
lotus elan 1966 S3 FHC
36/5785
LHD
mac5777
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: saildrive2001 » Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:58 pm

For those in Canada or close to the border Canadian Tire have a 1/2" drive torque wrench on sale this week @ half price for $59:95. It is rated up to 250 Lbs/Ft in both directions & is approx 25" long. I haven't had time to try it yet but it looks like it will be perfectly good. It came with a calibration test sheet for three different readings, 100%, 60% & 20% torque settings. The instruction booklet thaat came with it mentions McCann equipment but only Canadian addresses are shown. I suspect that they are the distributors. It comes with a lifetime warranty whatever that really means.
Keith Marshall
69 S4 SE DHC RHD Original owner
saildrive2001
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: mac5777 » Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:43 am

Saildrive 2001,
That is a good price and it sounds like it should work.
National Tool has confirmed that stock number 102N is what I had asked for in a torque wrench.
http://www.nationaltoolwarehouse.com/ AGAIN YOU WILL HAVE TO NAVIGATE TO THE TORQUE WRENCHES TO ATD 102M It comes with a case.
If the dealer says that it is reversible make sure it torques in both direction. Test it at 50 ft/lbs on both sides and make sure it clicks at 50 lbs.
That was how we found out we had a problem.

Sarto
lotus elan 1966 S3 FHC
36/5785
LHD
mac5777
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: elancoupe » Sun Dec 06, 2009 1:00 am

mac5777 wrote:With too much time on hand I am designing a knockoff tool to fit the 26R Elans and will work for the Cobra and corvette spinners. Sarto

Hi Sarto, any updates on this? Might be looking for a tool to fit 26R spinners.
Mike
elancoupe
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mac5777 » Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:39 am

Hi Mike,
And yes, I'm working on another tool that will grip the ears 'only' so the center hub that protrudes through the spinner, when fully torqued, will not interfere with the tool's grip. That design should fit the spinners for the 26R Elans, Cobra, and maybe the corvettes. it is a much simpler design than my two eared version and a lot cheaper. The two eared version requires many machined parts to stay on safely.
http://www.knockoffspinnertool.com/products

I was unable to make an adaptor that would allow my current Elan knockoff tool to fit all of the 10 spoke alloy for the +2 style wheels.
I am almost out of the three eared knockoff spinner tools and will be changing the design, on the next run, to grip the ears further out and should solve the 10 spoke alloy problem.

The Club Lotus News had a special issue where a knockoff tool was advertised that pictured a tool on an Elan +2 lotus ten spoke alloys that fit. He was mentioned here, awhile back, and sold many tools at one of the UK events. I think it was a Donington event and called Spin easy removal tool. Colin Denyer? Back then I had asked if they had tried it on the +2 alloys and they must have, evidenced by the photo.

Hi seandmoor, thanks for the spacer, It helped to develop a new concept that will work on your wheels. I'll mail it back shortly and keep you up dated.

I now can get the torque wrench for $75.00, even if it goes off sale, and it does work, US made with a warranty. I don't know what shipping would be to the UK. Might be too costly. http://www.nationaltoolwarehouse.com/ go to the right side to see VIEW TOOLS =CATEGORY scroll to "torque wrench" then open MANUFACTURER scroll to ATD tools "advance tool design" Should get you to their torque 102M

Sarto
lotus elan 1966 S3 FHC
36/5785
LHD
mac5777
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: seaandmoor » Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:14 pm

Yes, ok, I'm still here and listening.
Seaandmoor
seaandmoor
Second Gear