Rear Calipers

PostPost by: nico506 » Mon Aug 02, 2004 12:38 pm

Dear all,
I have aquired a caliper to replace the damaged one I had , and it came without the handbrake assembly fitted.
Can anyone tell me the procedure to remove the pins that retain the handbrake linkages onto the main caliper body.
Do I need a special tool or simply heat the thing up intil it glows??? :huh:
Thanks
nico506
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: fasterbyelan » Mon Aug 02, 2004 12:55 pm

Hi,

The pins that hold the handbrake onto my rear brake calipers have a threaded hole at the visible end. A adaptor screwed into this hole and fitted to a sliding hammer enabled the removal of the pins without heat. I was surprised how easy the pins came out as it was the first time they had been removed in 24 years.

The thread size appears to be 3/16" UNF.

Hope this is of help.

Karl

S4 SE FHC
Karl 8)

1970 S4 FHC SE
fasterbyelan
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: elan_fan » Mon Aug 02, 2004 7:49 pm

thats how I did mine but I must admit I definitely heated them up a bit first. not red hot but enough to expand things a little.

regards
Mark
elan_fan
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: patrics » Mon Aug 02, 2004 9:39 pm

Hi Nico,
The pins are only a push fit in to the caliper and should be easy to remove. The pins are actually held in by the pad backplate. The screw thead is 2BA.
So remove the pads from the assembly - if they are difficult to remove you will need to push the pins back into the caliper body to get the clearance - the pin has two diameters.
To remove the pins place a spacer around the pin, place a washer over that and use a 2BA screw to pull the pin out. You will need to increase the thickness of the spacer as the pin comes out.
Hope this helps if not I'll write it properly!
Regards
Steve
patrics
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: