Brakes

PostPost by: mike+2s130 » Thu Jul 22, 2004 8:09 pm

i am running a +2130/4.i have a problem with the brakes sticking on.they do not stay on all the time.when i use the brake the peddle seems to get harder and the brakes stay on untill i use the peddle again then they release.the car has a new servo .could this be a problem with the brake fluid.how often is best to change it an also could any one reccormend a type of fluid to use.no individual calliper is binding so i do not think the problem lies there.i need help!thanks
mike+2s130
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Thu Jul 22, 2004 8:38 pm

I take it that when you stop at lights the brakes stick on and a light tap of the brake pedal frees them? if so
Two points
1)at what position is the air-valve on the servo(pointing upwards no doubt)
2)do you have the spring mod that helps the air -valve

John
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: timliggins » Thu Jul 22, 2004 10:01 pm

I have been experiencing a similar problem with my S4 since I replaced the original Girling servo with a new Lockheed servo over two years ago. It seems as if there is air in the system i.e. it takes two prods on the pedal before the servo comes into play and even then the pedal feels spongy. Every now and then, though, the pedal goes rock hard and the braking is brilliant. The trouble is you never know what you're going to get when you brake! In addition, very occasionally, the bakes stick on for a few seconds. I have assumed that the problem is with the servo and having tried everything I can think of to cure it I've considered going down the +2 front brakes with no servo route.

What do you mean by 'the spring mod' John?

Tim
timliggins
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Fri Jul 23, 2004 5:40 am

There is a mod. to stop the brakes(servo) from locking on like this,it consists of a large (weak) spring placed under the air-valve diaphragm
John
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: worzel » Fri Jul 23, 2004 11:57 am

Had a similar problem with a year old Lockheed servo. I worked out that it was the air control valve under the filter. I fitted a strong(ish) spring and then to make sure the snap on cap stayed on I rigged up an external secure cover to hold it all in place. This also doubled up as an "umbrella" as the servo on the 2 seaters is placed directly under the forward edge of the bonnet causing water ingress to the filter.

John
worzel
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: rickf » Fri Jul 23, 2004 1:47 pm

The servos are removed on mine. The brakes are rock hard. Not unusually high effort for unassisted brakes.
Cheers,<br>Rick<br>1972 Elan +2
rickf
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: tdafforn » Fri Jul 23, 2004 8:12 pm

I used the spring as suggested by john and it completely solved the problem..
Well recomended!
1972 +2S130
tdafforn
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: