Plus 2 Tyres

PostPost by: jcocking » Fri Sep 26, 2003 6:24 pm

If you have a Plus 2:

What tyre, brand and size, are you using?

Are you using stock steel wheels or switched to a different wheel?

Have you modified the wheel arches/suspension for the wheel/tires?

What do you think of the tire?
Jeff Cocking
LotusElan.net
jcocking
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: theelanman » Mon Sep 29, 2003 12:37 pm

Jeff
I have 5.5jx13" wolfrace alloy wheels which from all the pics and history of the car seem to have been on from very early on in its life.....
on these rims I have goodyear Eagle NCT3's.....seem like firm rubber in the wet but sticky rubber in the dry......they give the car a tail happy feel as do most of the tyres I have tried seem to...I believe this to be due to the original spec tyres were of the double sidewall construction which is not the case these days...they are now only single sidewall reinforced and therefore on sprirted cornering you can feel the deflection of the tyre sidewall and she shimmys here rear at the corner youve just rounded....
cheers
G
theelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: kevin » Wed Oct 01, 2003 10:20 pm

Does anyone have any recommendations here?

I'm about to put some rubber on my original steels rims. So far I've managed to source Dunlop SP10's and Goodyear GT2's in 165/80R13 size for a reasonable price.

Is there much to choose between these two, or does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks in anticipation

Kevin
kevin
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: JACKJABBA » Thu Oct 09, 2003 8:11 am

I have Dunlop SP Elite 165/80SR13 tyres fitted on my standard alloy wheels. They were fitted when I bought the car so don't know the cost. They seem to cope with spirited driving quite well. I havent lost control of the car, yet. Unless you intend to push your car to its limit, then its a choice of what's best for your wallet. Like all things its down to cost. Don't throw good money at alloys and tyres unless your suspension is all sorted first.
JACKJABBA
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: 72plus2 » Sat Oct 11, 2003 8:24 pm

When I purchased my '72 it had the original alloys and an aging set of Yokohama P175/70R13. Seems a good tire in dry conditions. I have not pushed them yet in the wet.
72plus2
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: JACKJABBA » Sun Oct 12, 2003 9:06 am

Back in the early eighties, Yokohama's were fitted to Yamaha motorbikes as standard. It was soon discovered that Yokohama was Japanese for don't ride in the wet. :lol:

That said they are now one of the top manufacturers of road tyres. But at ?100 each for the wifes Toyota they should be.
JACKJABBA
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: kevin » Mon Oct 13, 2003 8:03 pm

I finally settled on Dunlop SP10's in 165/80R13 size. I'll let you know how I get on with them.

Regards

Kevin
kevin
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Ramsden » Fri Nov 28, 2003 1:36 pm

Kevin,

How are you getting on with the new tyres?

Like elanman, I have Wolfrace alloys on my plus two. These are shod with Goodyear 185s, both fitted by a previous owner. The big rubber gives a fairly beefy look but I've noticed that the front tyres collide with the wheel arch on full suspension compression. I am therefore looking to change.

I'm not sure whether to go original 165 or to go for a mid point 175 for a bit more grip. Any Views?

Simon
Ramsden
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: kevin » Fri Nov 28, 2003 6:27 pm

Simon

I have to confess I haven't turned a wheel as yet! I'm on the last stages of phase one of my restoration but am finding the last few jobs are taking much longer than anticipated. As soon as I get the car through an MOT, I'll let you know what I think of the tyres.

Kevin
kevin
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: