3-eared K-o Socket Problem

PostPost by: type26owner » Thu Jun 03, 2004 1:13 am

Just a word of warning if you've got one of the knock-off sockets from Baum Tools Limited. Mine sheared off one of the locking tabs. :angry: When this happened I was applying full torque and was not expecting it to just slip off suddenly. I was not injured nor was my car but that shot of adrenline as a result of having a close call I didn't need. It's useless now with a broken tab as is. Perhaps I can repair it. IIRC it's been hardened by heat treating so the repair must be able to be rehardened.

Will contact them and inform them of the problem.
Keith
type26owner
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: type26owner » Sat Jun 19, 2004 2:52 pm

Ended up repairing the socket because the engineer from Baum Tools never returned my phone call. The socket is not all that hard afterall. Recut with a milling machine and a high speed end mill the six recesses which grip the backside of the ears so it won't slip off in use. This time they are 7/32" radiuses which are 3/16" deeper on either end of the existing pockets. Appears to be have much more of a positve grip then originally. :D

Needed the socket functional again now cause I'm having new tires mounted, shaved and balanced today. Going to try the Sumitomo HTR T4 in a 165/70R13 to see if they have as much grip as the NLA Michelin's did. I've got 4.5J steel wheels on a stock S2. Section width clearance to the rear glass should be okay but nearly zero.
-Keith
type26owner
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: