Removing The Brake Servo

PostPost by: steveww » Fri Apr 02, 2004 7:40 am

I have seen various threads on removing the brake servo but I have not been able to get to the bottom of what is required.

I have a S4 elan which has single circuit brakes and a servo. I would like to get rid of the servo to improve feel and free up some space. Can I just remove the servo or do I need to change master cylinder size?

It has also been mentioned that I could fit +2 front brake discs (rotors) and calipers. Again if I do away with the servo do I need to use a different master cylinder with this set up?

Any advice greatly appreciated.
steveww
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Fri Apr 02, 2004 8:01 am

Steve,
I raised this subject so here is what I have found out so far:
Option. 1. Just remove the servo and keep everything else the same. You will have a firmer pedal and have to push a bit harder- there are lots of Elans out there like this, I had one and it felt normal to me at the time.
Option 2. As above but fit softer pads.
Option 3. As (1) above but fit smaller master cylinder, you push further on the pedal but it is softer.
Option 4. Fit +2 components- bigger caliper cylinders, larger discs, add Green Stuff pads, works brilliantly, well proven.
Option 5. As (4) but add the +2 servo; you need to check your rear view mirror before braking!

There are probably more options, like the alloy calipers I toyed with but to me Option 4 seems the most sensible as it is proven to work well without upsetting brake balance, etc.

Cheers,

Pete
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bill_s708800 » Fri Apr 02, 2004 11:02 am

I run a +2 and have never fitted a servo, works fine.
However, I have started to get a little concerned. If I ever have to make an emergency stop, could the extra foot presssure cause the pedal box to tear out? I have heard that this happened on some of the early Elites.
Proceed with care.

Bill
bill_s708800
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: steveww » Fri Apr 02, 2004 1:35 pm

Option 4. Fit +2 components- bigger caliper cylinders, larger discs, add Green Stuff pads, works brilliantly, well proven

OK I have gone for it. Just ordered caliper brackets from Spyder, Calipers from Classicar Automative and "Turbo Groved" :o disks and EBC Green from Powerstop.

Now I can ditch the servo for more brake feel and free up more space for the bigger rad that I am trying to fit in the nose.

So it looks like it might be an other couple of weeks before I can enjoy my Elan on the roads and tracks.
steveww
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: +2R160 » Fri Apr 02, 2004 1:47 pm

Steve, I think you have had good advice so far. I removed the servo on my +2 a little while back for various reasons (to free space for a TTR swirl pot, to save weight, reduce complexity, give more brake feel and avoid the sudden loss of assistance than comes with servo failure - a common problem apparently). I left the existing master cylinder and just made up a braided hose to the f/r brake distibution unit. I also fitted Green Stuff front pads.
I am however not entirely happy with the result so far, as there is no real bite point to the brakes and the pedal pressure is quite high - however this may all be due to poor rear brake performance (an MOT station brake test could confirm this) as I have yet to fit new rear pads/service the rear callipers. I also plan to fit braided hoses all round, along with a f/r balance adjuster (the car will be used for road/hillclimbs). It is quite a lightweight +2 and actual braking power though is pretty good.
Regarding pedal box to bulkhead damage it is a fair point and probably some reinforcement in the form of penny washers and/or bracing may be a good idea.
Certainly, I would not wish to go back to a servo system, as the engine bay is tidier and I personally think a non-servo system is more suited to the nature of the car. I used to have an Elise (non-servoed of course) and the pedal feel of that was also a little dead.
Any queries, you are welcome to email on [email protected].
Regards, David.
+2R160
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: pereirac » Sat Apr 03, 2004 10:43 pm

Steve,
I am after a working Mk 2B servo for my Sprint if you have no further use for your old unit? :-)

Carl
Carl

72 Elan Sprint
87 Excel SE
97 Alpina B10

http://www.lotuselan.co.uk
pereirac
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: patrics » Thu Apr 08, 2004 8:35 pm

Hi Steve,
If you have a UK car with a standard m/cyl (0.7") you will not need a new m/cyl but if you have a federal car with twin servo's then you will.
Regards
Steve
patrics
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: