TTR bearing spacer: is it needed?

PostPost by: gjz30075 » Mon May 22, 2023 6:13 pm

This concerns the rear outer stub axle. I have fitted a narrow bearing to an issue 18 stub axle, ie,
takes the wider bearing, hence the circlip groove is further from the 'fingers' of the axle. This will be installed
in an issue 16 upright. I thought I needed this:
https://www.tonythompsonracing.co.uk/pa ... hubshafts/

Assuming all TTR hubshafts take the wider bearing, I'm not sure this is needed at all in an issue 16 upright.
The bearing on the stub axle is up against the casting in the inside and is held in place by the big
circlip on the outside, so it seems it doesn't matter whether a circlip is used or not. Am I missing
something here?

As I think about this, I'm not sure if a circlip is needed at all, on the inside, regardless of the upright type
or axle, UNLESS, one is fitting a narrow inner bearing to an issue 18 upright, because then the extra
space is needed to be taken up by the spacer. Hmmm,,, is it possible the TTR description is incorrect?
Greg Z
45/0243K Sprint
45/7286 S3 SE DHC
gjz30075
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ncm » Mon May 22, 2023 9:24 pm

The bearing spacer is needed.
The spacer that you have linked to is used to take up the gap between the bearing and circlip groove [i]on the axle shaft.[i] If you omit that spacer then the shaft will move in the bearing in use and damage the surface of the shaft. Thanks to a DPO I have an example of this..

Brian.
ncm
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: gjz30075 » Mon May 22, 2023 10:55 pm

Ok, I can see the only way the shaft can move is inward and I can see the circlip
preventing that. I'll fit the spacer then.
Thanks
Greg Z
45/0243K Sprint
45/7286 S3 SE DHC
gjz30075
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: