USA Only Voluntary Recall - Michelin Vintage Tyre Collection

PostPost by: StressCraxx » Fri Apr 07, 2023 3:28 am

I purchased a set of Michelin XAS FF tires in 2019 to replace my old tires. My Elan is still under restoration, so the tires are in storage awaiting the Elan's completion. (Restorations always take far longer than expected.)

I received a letter yesterday from Michelin advising they are recalling all their vintage collection tires, including the XAS and XAS FF tires in all sizes. Tires manufactured before October 23rd 2022 Tire Identification Number (TIN) code week 43 year 22 code on sidewall (4322) are recalled. Michelin will replace the tires produced before this date free of charge. The tires in this recall do not have the "DOT" mark molded in the tire. Michelin advised the replacement tires will take sever months to produce and ship to customers.

The NHTSA recall number is 22T023. The link to the NHTSA document is here: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2022/R ... 3-1873.PDF

The bottom line is, if you have any cars with Michelin Vintage Collection tires on them, you may be shipped a new set soon. There are no known failures caused by the lack of DOT markings or lack of FMVSS testing.
There is no cure for Lotus, only treatment.
StressCraxx
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mwhitaker » Sat Apr 08, 2023 9:35 pm

Thanks Craxx- after reading your note I dug out my old receipt from Coker Tires having purchased a set of XAS-FF in July 2018 for my Elan. As you note, no DOT mark molding on the 5 tires I have either. Later today, the recall notice showed up in the mail! I have about 3000 miles on these over the 4 1/2 years and have been happy with them overall, you will like them-nice steering response, feel, and ride. I remember having to get the tubes from Longstone Tyres in the UK as Coker didn't stock them-I have Sue Miller repro steel wheels on which the Michelins are mounted and use Panasports with Achilles 122 tires for cold weather months. A new set of Michelins will be very nice to have! Cheers.

Mark Whitaker
69 Elan S4 DHC
45/8396
mwhitaker
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: