Handbrake- has anyone tried this?

PostPost by: baileyman » Tue Apr 04, 2023 12:39 pm

The problem with modifying the tee is that the handbrake pull has no leverage except at the tee. A swinging style lever seems likely to be more powerful. Since I have not been able to locate a correct lever for my Seven I modded an Elan t-handle, and it's only adequate enough for inspection if perfectly set and yanked with two hands. John
baileyman
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: snowyelan » Tue Apr 04, 2023 4:21 pm

Hi Baileyman,

If your comment was directed at my suggestion I think there is a bit of a mix up. Its not the Tee handle I suggested changing, its the Tree behind the diff. The modification would have a similar effect to the swinging lever you suggest (I'm interpreting your mechanism as a toggle that doesn't quite go over center, correct?). When plotted as the force over distance it wouldn't be a straight line like the current 90 degree tree pretty much is.
Scott
45/9011
Hawkestone, On, Ca
snowyelan
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: baileyman » Tue Apr 04, 2023 6:55 pm

Yes, understood.

I puzzled over my own Elan tee from TTR and could not see a way to boost leverage because that would require more rotation, and both rotation and arm length looked constrained. For the Elan it's at the works well enough stage. The T-handle is inadequate on the seven, perhaps because there's friction in the system. I hope to find a lever handle. John
baileyman
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: elanman999 » Tue Apr 04, 2023 7:53 pm

The tree from the later +2 has a longer lever arm, I assumed that the later Elans had the same, but perhaps not. However I made a similar one for my Elan. Here is a link to one from Kelvdon but it's upside down in the pic. Search for pics of a +2 tree to get the idea.
https://kelvedonlotus.co.uk/product/handbrake-tree-2/
Cheers
John.
elanman999
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Wed Apr 05, 2023 6:42 am

john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Previous

Total Online: