Front bump stop spacers

PostPost by: mbell » Tue Mar 07, 2023 12:56 am

Hi,

Anyone know of some bump stop spacer that fit the front suspension?

Type that doesn't require disassembly of the shocks to fit. Something like:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/joe-19493

I just not sure the OD is small enough for the elan suspension. So interested if any one has first hand experience.

I am running TTR front setup and these came with much short bump stop (0.75 to 1") compared to the ~2" aeon spring used in the standard setup. This means even with the car set reasonably high, 6.5" to cross member I am able to ground the exhaust out in dips. I have ideas about making a new gearbox mount for the 5 speed so I can tuck the exhaust up a bit higher but I suspect reducing max compression on the front is probably also needed.

Thanks,

Mark
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Elan45 » Wed Mar 08, 2023 2:15 pm

Mark,

I made a pair of spacers for my SS back in the late 80's. I had issues w/ the suspension bottoming out.

If I made a drawing it has been long since lost and there was no Elan.net back then. If I remember, I started w/ square alum stock, drilled, tapped and counter-bored pairs of stock. Then, put these bolted together pairs ( socket head cap screws) on my lathe and turned them to the outside diameter of the springs and a bored hole through the center and a pilot diam so as to center on the spring and shock.

That car is w/ me here in Florida and I should try to at least get a photo of its modification.

Roger
'67 Elan S3 SS DHC
'67 Elan FHC pre-airflow
'67 Elan S3 SE upgrade to 26R by Original owner
'58 Eleven S2 (ex-works)
'62 20/22 FJ (ex-Yamura)
'70 Elan +2S RHD
'61 20 FJ project
'76 Modus M1 F3
Elan45
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Wed Mar 08, 2023 7:05 pm

Thanks Roger,

I was hoping to avoid making anything and if it involves removing the springs I probably won't do in. Certainly in the short term.

Look like I will have to do some measuring and questioning to find out if any of the existing solution stand a decent chance of fitting or not.

Cheers,

Mark
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Elan45 » Thu Mar 09, 2023 2:32 pm

Although its been a very long time since I fitted my spacers and lots of other Lotus repairs and mods, I don't remember having to remove the springs. I believe I made these after we drove home from the LOG in Vermont
(1986?) and bottoming out after a change in pavement height, maybe a pothole, but in September??

My spacers come apart into a pair of 'C' shaped pieces which after getting them into place, then bolting the pair together w/ 2 socket head cap screws each.

My SS was modified by the original owner in Pittsburgh with the "racing spring package" and still has the springs fitted by him, including the small diameter rears and fronts to lower the ride height, so I NEEDED front shims.

Roger
'67 Elan S3 SS DHC
'67 Elan FHC pre-airflow
'67 Elan S3 SE upgrade to 26R by Original owner
'58 Eleven S2 (ex-works)
'62 20/22 FJ (ex-Yamura)
'70 Elan +2S RHD
'61 20 FJ project
'76 Modus M1 F3
Elan45
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Sat Apr 08, 2023 7:35 pm

So I took a bit of a gamble and bought a set of the joe racing shims. They at least fit.

Bought a pack of 3/8" thickness and have fitted 2 on each shock. So a 3/4"(20mm) increase in minimal ride hight.

Will have to see if there are any spring/spacer interactions and if it's enough to prevent bottoming the car out and hitting the exhaust. Also hoping it might let me drop the ride height slightly.
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: