lower wishbone bushes

PostPost by: street » Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:04 pm

New bushes installed to lower wishbones, went in with relative ease, when installing sway bar I noticed the front wishbone moved about 10mm off bush.
thoughts, poor quality bushes from SJ? do I replace at more expense, add some bearing locker, also i note that washers should be installed both sides of the bush, my father did not do this, so is this a simple fix?
street
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Billelan » Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:11 am

Poor fitting bushes has been reported in the recent past. I would do as you suggest and use a locking compound. Depending on the clearance I would go for a high strength retainer such as Loctite 638 (other brands available).
Billelan
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: street » Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:16 am

I have removed added the loctite, only got bearing grade. I was actually able to press it in a few more mm and is far more snug. Thanks
street
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: 661 » Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:02 am

If I understand what you are asking......(assuming polybushes)
The bushes slide on the compression tube, not like the old , original rubbers. Not only is the compression tube free to rotate but also to move forward and backwards, unless washers are placed there. These need to be of a suitable thickness to avoid distortion and width to match the bush.
With washers on the turret side of the bushes, this may space out the wishbones and widen the gap at the trunnion end. You need to set up the inner end and look at the trunnion gap. In theory if you space out the inner wishbones, the trunnion gap may need spacing. In practice it depends on how straight the wishbones are .
Last edited by 661 on Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Graeme
S4 SE
S2 GTS
Caterham 420R
Sold - Peterson JPS Exige
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jono » Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:20 pm

I had the same problem and had to slit the eye of the wishbone and then tig it up to achieve a good interference fit.

...bushes came for Sue Miller, so it seems a universal issue
jono
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Elanman99 » Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:34 pm

street wrote:New bushes installed to lower wishbones, went in with relative ease, when installing sway bar I noticed the front wishbone moved about 10mm off bush.
thoughts, poor quality bushes from SJ? do I replace at more expense, add some bearing locker, also i note that washers should be installed both sides of the bush, my father did not do this, so is this a simple fix?

I dont understand the description of your problem.

If these are standard bonded rubber bushes then I cannot visualise where the 10mm movement come from.

Unless something is seriously wrong, the bushes are a tight push fit in the wishbone eye (should not need Loctite) so if assembling the two wishbones to the lower trunnion causes a wishbone to slide sideways off the bush then something is distorted.

Ian
68 Elan S4 DHC. Built in a weekend from a kit (just like the advert said)
Elanman99
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Billelan » Tue Jan 31, 2023 5:58 pm

As Ian correctly states the bushes should be an interference fit in the wishbone. Similarly the inner sleeve of the bush should be clamped by the fulcrum pin and Nyloc nut.
The original “Metalastic” bonded bushes are designed so that all the suspension movement is only taken by the rubber (torsional and axial).
If the bush is a poor fit in the wishbone or the fulcrum nuts are insufficiently tightened there is a danger the outer or inner sleeves rotate within their steel counter parts. This of course should be avoided at all cost.
Billelan
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: street » Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:59 am

the movement is sideways off the bush, original metalastic bushes, i did manage to get a better fit in press, but may look at ordering another bush...
street
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: 661 » Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:28 am

street wrote:the movement is sideways off the bush, original metalastic bushes, i did manage to get a better fit in press, but may look at ordering another bush...

Ignore my comment on polybushes, yours are interference fit. Don't tighten up the bolts until the car is at ride height.
Graeme
S4 SE
S2 GTS
Caterham 420R
Sold - Peterson JPS Exige
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:34 am

There is only a few mm of clearance between the wishbone and the chassis upright on each side so I still struggle to understabd how the wishbone moved off the bushes by 10 mm ?

cheers
Rohsn
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: street » Thu Feb 02, 2023 3:08 am

Rohan,

i left out all bolts loose, when everything is tight i agree should be minimal chance of movement
street
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: