Rear disk brake linkage rattles a bit when going over bumps

PostPost by: Mroz » Wed Oct 26, 2022 4:35 am

Rear disk brake linkage rattles a bit when going over bumps. Its kind of annoying.

Any advise to quite down

1) make adjustments to tighten slop?

2) is the solution to replace parts that might have wide tolerances do to wear?.

3) new after market part?

4) additions like a spring or sleeve?
Attachments
IMG_6424.jpg and
IMG_6426.jpg and
Mroz
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Mroz » Wed Oct 26, 2022 5:26 am

This is the handbrake caliper linkage. Should it be tighten with out play?
Mroz
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: RobMc » Wed Oct 26, 2022 6:24 am

Don’t tighten, you’re just missing a spring.

https://lotuselan.net/lel/41073/0/brakeassembled.jpg
Rob
1969 S4 Elan
RobMc
New-tral

PostPost by: 512BB » Wed Oct 26, 2022 6:52 am

'Rear disk brake linkage rattles a bit when going over bumps. Its kind of annoying.
Any advise to quite down
1) make adjustments to tighten slop?
2) is the solution to replace parts that might have wide tolerances do to wear?.
3) new after market part?
4) additions like a spring or sleeve?'

The first thing to do if you want your handbrake to work as it came out of the factory is your no.2. You cannot expect the handbrake to work as intended if the associated parts are worn / out.

If your handbrake parts are in good condition, and your brakes do look as if they are, then the handbrake pads occasionally need to be adjusted, to keep the pads within a few thou of the discs.

A modern day addition to the handbrake mechanism is a spring to hold the pads off, as per the link posted, and that spring also helps to stop rattle, but I do not have springs on a couple of my cars and there is no rattling. Correctly built and adjusted calipers.

Leslie
512BB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Andy8421 » Wed Oct 26, 2022 7:30 am

I have two Elans, the rear calipers on both rattle like a bag of old spanners when I go over a bump.

To be fair, this can be reduced by fittings Rob's yellow spring and infinite patience bending the 'centralising strips' (which are what passes as pad return springs), adjusting the pad to disc gap and the handbrake slack so that the rattley bits are under some form of tension at all times, but it never seems to work for long.

I have had a pair of rear calipers rebuilt by Clasicar Automotive, and there is definitely less slop in the rattley bits, so this may help. I haven't fitted them yet, so I don't know if they are a fix.

Perhaps Leslie just makes a better job of adjusting them than me.
68 Elan S3 HSCC Roadsports spec
71 Elan Sprint (being restored)
32 Standard 12
Various modern stuff
Andy8421
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Mroz » Wed Oct 26, 2022 3:13 pm

RobMc wrote:Don’t tighten, you’re just missing a spring.

https://lotuselan.net/lel/41073/0/brakeassembled.jpg

Rob,

Thank you for the link to a picture with the spring. The spring should help a lot.
Mroz
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: LaikaTheDog » Fri Oct 28, 2022 11:24 am

My handbrake mechanism rattled, I needed to replace all the pins and drill out and sleeve all the holes and I also used a spring
LaikaTheDog
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: