Hopping Rear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Sat Jul 30, 2022 3:30 pm

For the price of the Bearings i would renew both. Do the job once and do it 100%.
Also while the driveshaft is removed and bare get it put in a Lathe Chuck and resurface Lugs where the Brake Disk locates. Make sure you buy good quality Bearings
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: h20hamelan » Sun Jul 31, 2022 12:06 am

snowyelan wrote:If you can find a 2 leg gear puller that fits you may be able to do it without removing the strut. There are also ball joint removal tools that use a screw and a C shaped frame.

How much better is the puller, than a press. As far as a press adds the force the entire face, not a puller.
Born, and brought home from the hospital (no seat belt (wtf)) in a baby!
Find out where the limits are, and start from there
Love your Mother
Earth
h20hamelan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: snowyelan » Sun Jul 31, 2022 1:31 pm

A press is better no doubt. My suggestions were for removing the bolt while still on the upright.
Scott
45/9011
Hawkestone, On, Ca
snowyelan
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: h20hamelan » Sun Jul 31, 2022 2:55 pm

Of course, no offence intended. I just wonder if its worth it. I have a couple different styles. One could/should encompass the face of the upright, so that would be my choice, but, I wonder if anyone has destroyed their upright.
Born, and brought home from the hospital (no seat belt (wtf)) in a baby!
Find out where the limits are, and start from there
Love your Mother
Earth
h20hamelan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Temmck » Sun Jul 31, 2022 5:53 pm

I can not remove the stubaxle as the brake disc is still attached via the bolt that won't come out. I would have to cut off the disc then remove the axle.

I found removing these bolts with a press to be ineffective. When I did the other side I also had one bolt stuck on the spider but it was on the drive shaft. I removed the drive shaft and tried to push out the bolt but my 20T press maxed out and the bolt didn't budge. I was able to get the bolt out with heat and serious banging with a steel hammer (spider ear properly braced).

I will try to get it hotter with an oxy/map torch today. If that doesn't work then I cut off the bolt and try to drill it out. Removing the axle is my last resort.

All this for one rotten bolt that is rusted to the spider. This assembly has a lot of anti-seize in its future.
Temmck
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Sun Jul 31, 2022 6:26 pm

I think once you have removed the Brake Caliper you can remove stub axle with the Brake Disk attached.
Then if a press doesn't work you can use a pillar drill to drill out bolt.
Alan
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Temmck » Mon Aug 01, 2022 12:29 am

The Oxy/Map torch did the trick! I was able to work the bolt loose and finally remove it from the spider.

With the bolt removed the replacement of the rotoflex went smoothly. What works best for me is to face all of the bolt heads outwards and use a washer under the nuts that are against the rotoflex.

A quick test drive and the hopping is gone! The car ran nice and smooth. The root cause was permanently deformed rotoflex couplings due to sitting in the same place for many years.

Thank you everyone for your ideas and suggestions.
Temmck
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Mon Aug 01, 2022 3:59 am

Imho i suggest you fit the bolts as in workshop manuel. Also i wouldn't fit any washers under the nyloc nuts or bolt heads.
Have you checked the Brake Disk to see if it's running true with a DTI.
Personal choice of course and enjoy driving your Elan.
Alan
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Previous

Total Online: