Track Rod End supply source

PostPost by: Craven » Sat Jul 16, 2022 10:41 pm

These were the only ends I could find that had a long threaded section, unfortunately fitted to a S3 Elan so can’t say re +2. I think it’s fairly common to shorten the track rod with any replacement ends.
With new track rod ends you will need to re track the steering and check the bump steer as actual ball joint height to taper is often different.
Craven
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alanr » Sun Jul 17, 2022 6:24 am

The actual joint height comparison and the consequential bump steer alteration I hadn't got around to considering and looking out for up to now...I will now!
Thanks for the heads up!

Alan.
Alan
'71 +2 S130/ 5speed Type9.
alanr
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Hawksfield » Sun Jul 17, 2022 10:26 am

alanr

I think you should investigate why they don't fit your car as I have never had this problem, last year I refurbished the front suspension, track rod ends from PM everything ok.
Check the dimensions of the rack threaded ball ends and the extension rods as all sorts of things have been carried out on the racks over the years,

Hope you get sorted.
John

+2s130 1971
Hawksfield
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: 661 » Mon Jul 18, 2022 5:01 pm

vxah wrote:Another thing to note with replacement tre’s is, are the ball joint centre lines the same? I noticed almost all of them sit much higher meaning the track rod will not be at the same angle it was before.
Therefore all the carefully measured rack height shimming has gone out of the window, along with it your bump steer correction?

The ball joint centre should be exactly the same ( once toe is correctly set) as the ball joint merely sits on the steering arm. The other end is fixed to the rack, so the bump steer will not be altered as the connecting rod ( be it more track rod or track rod end ) will be at the same angle.
Graeme
S4 SE
S2 GTS
Caterham 420R
Sold - Peterson JPS Exige
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: vxah » Mon Jul 18, 2022 11:26 pm

Not sure I agree with that, any change in dimension of the replacement joint that moves the fitted height of the track rod will alter bump steer. This is because the angle of the track rod in relation to the suspension arms has changed?

Let’s say that originally at ride height the track rod was angled downward slightly, when the suspension is compressed that rod is going to scribe an arc so, if it were to move to a point where the rod is now flat then the distance between the steering rack and steering arm has now increased?
If we fit a new rod end that moves the track rod up so that at ride height the track rod is now flat, under suspension compression that rod will be angled up meaning the distance between steering rack and steering arm has decreased, I believe this will drastically change the bump steer?
vxah
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: 661 » Tue Jul 19, 2022 8:44 am

vxah wrote:Not sure I agree with that, any change in dimension of the replacement joint that moves the fitted height of the track rod will alter bump steer. This is because the angle of the track rod in relation to the suspension arms has changed?

Let’s say that originally at ride height the track rod was angled downward slightly, when the suspension is compressed that rod is going to scribe an arc so, if it were to move to a point where the rod is now flat then the distance between the steering rack and steering arm has now increased?
If we fit a new rod end that moves the track rod up so that at ride height the track rod is now flat, under suspension compression that rod will be angled up meaning the distance between steering rack and steering arm has decreased, I believe this will drastically change the bump steer?

Forgive me if I have misread the OP's issue, but I believed he was saying the threaded internal length of the track rod end was not adequate to accomodate the existing track rod when screwed in far enough to have toe correct.
I am assuming that the track rod end centre of movement to be as original, is it not?
Graeme
S4 SE
S2 GTS
Caterham 420R
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 661 » Tue Jul 19, 2022 9:08 am

My point being that I understand point A and point B to be unchanged.
The rod is the same angle and length but the point C may be altered depending on the length of the track rod and track rod ends.
lotus-elan-series-2-complete-build_jpg.jpg and
Graeme
S4 SE
S2 GTS
Caterham 420R
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Hawksfield » Tue Jul 19, 2022 12:01 pm

Alan
Check your rack against this for a +2

Steering dimensions (1).pdf
(512.56 KiB) Downloaded 99 times
John

+2s130 1971
Hawksfield
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: alanr » Tue Jul 19, 2022 12:21 pm

Thanks for that John!
When the weather cools down a bit, all too hot here at the moment to do much, I will take some measurements and delve deeper into the issue.

Thanks,

Alan
Alan
alanr
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: tonyr27 » Wed Jul 20, 2022 8:36 am

I bought the last pair from Wood & Picket via ebay as we had the same issue.
Tony R
1966 S3 FHC Medici Blue
tonyr27
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: alanr » Wed Jul 20, 2022 8:48 am

Thanks for that info Tony.
I will have a look at Wood & Picket.

Alan
Alan
alanr
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: vxah » Wed Jul 20, 2022 1:51 pm

Sorry, I do understand the op’s issue. I was just saying that when “shopping around” for a replacement tre with the correct internal thread length, be aware that different ends may also have different fitted heights not obviously visible in the packet?
vxah
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: alanr » Wed Jul 20, 2022 2:04 pm

I have just spoken to Amsteer in Tamworth who say whilst they don't list the correct one for my car ( +2S130)if I take over a sample they will definitely be able to either cross reference, or if push comes to shove manufacture exactly the same as what I have.
Thinking about it further I probably could alter or make GT6/Spitfire ones actually fit my car but being fussy about getting things correct that is not my way of doing things. So I intend to follow up with Amsteer and see where that leads.

Thanks all for the input.

Alan
Alan
alanr
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: 661 » Wed Jul 20, 2022 2:26 pm

vxah wrote:Sorry, I do understand the op’s issue. I was just saying that when “shopping around” for a replacement tre with the correct internal thread length, be aware that different ends may also have different fitted heights not obviously visible in the packet?

Ahhh! Fair enough. Quite right that would affect point 'B' and all the other conundrums.
I have to say, having recently fitted TTR supplied TREs to an S4 I didn't visually notice any difference in the ball heights and on the road the car doesn't appear to bump steer. The race car has been bump steer adjusted.
Graeme
S4 SE
S2 GTS
Caterham 420R
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Previous

Total Online: