Wheel Spinners

PostPost by: Roland » Mon May 16, 2022 9:53 am

The 3 eared wheel spinners on my car are in good condition apart from the chrome. I wanted to retain the spinners but I am getting re-chroming costs around £380 (inc. vat), for this price I can buy remanufactured spinners. However I have seen comments that the remanufactured spinners quality is not equivalent to the originals.

Has anyone recently re-chromed these spinners for a more competitive price? It needs to be fairly recent because I suspect chroming costs in the last few months have taken an upturn since it is probably energy and labour intensive.

Tks

Roland
Roland
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Donels » Mon May 16, 2022 12:55 pm

I had mine rechromed by Derby plating for around £50 each. They’re probably the best people around and do loads of classic RR stuff. They dress and polish out all damage before replating. The cost is about the same as new ones but its top quality you’re getting.

Dave
Elan +2
Elise mk 1
Donels
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Roland » Mon May 16, 2022 1:02 pm

Dave,

By coincidence I just sent Derby a request before I read your post. I got £384 from Ashford. Derby seem to have a good reputation, hopefully they will be more competitive.

Roland
Roland
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: RichardHawkins » Mon May 16, 2022 7:52 pm

Roland,

Sue Miller offers a re chrome/overhaul service. Sue charged me £178 for the set in 2017. I am not sure I remember correctly, but I think she offers an exchange system, so you don’t necessarily get your old spinners back.

Hope this helps,

Richard Hawkins
RichardHawkins
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Roland » Mon May 16, 2022 7:58 pm

Richard,

OK will try Sue, I thought she was selling the remanufactured versions which I hear are not so good.

Thanks for the handbrake write up, all fixed now and I seem to have a pretty good handbrake. Again it was one of those jobs that should have been simple but wasn't.

Tks
Roland
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Lotusian » Tue May 17, 2022 8:21 am

Sue Miller was recently also selling rechromed spinners on an exchange basis.
Lotusian
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Roland » Tue May 17, 2022 2:09 pm

Sue Miller has quoted me £35 plus vat per spinner for chroming. They will be my spinners returned since they are not badly hammered and will take 3-4 weeks

I did get quotes from some at chromers at £50 plus vat but Sue's price seems very good and I think the quality will be fine.

The price variation from the various chroming companies out there is large.

Roland
Roland
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: