Power Steering?

PostPost by: jeff jackson » Sat May 14, 2022 8:52 am

As I am getting older, and I lack arms of a gorilla, I am toying with the idea of power steering.
I am thinking electric.
Has anyone tried this, done this?
Regards
Jeff 72+2
jeff jackson
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: elansprint » Sat May 14, 2022 1:17 pm

Jeff to me one of the pleasures of Elan driving is the steering feel and feedback but if you are struggling the normal go to in the UK is the vauxhall corsa electric column set up and you can buy aftermarket electronics with adjustable assistance to run it.
elansprint
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Fred Talmadge » Sat May 14, 2022 3:19 pm

As I get older the steering is the least of my problems. Getting in and out is my problem. Do you have a smaller steering wheel? If so put the stock one in, leverage is your friend.
Fred Talmadge
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: quaybook » Sun May 15, 2022 11:20 am

Having previously had a 13" steering wheel on my S2 when I changed to an original size 15" wheel the steering became light enough at parking speeds to be no problem at all, even at my great age! A 15" wheel would be a lot easier solution than power steering and would preserve the legendary Elan steering feel.

Vernon
Elan S2 26/5614
Alfa Romeo Alfetta Berlina 1974
Westfield 7SE
quaybook
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: HCA » Sun May 15, 2022 12:53 pm

jeff jackson wrote:As I am getting older, and I lack arms of a gorilla, I am toying with the idea of power steering.
I am thinking electric.
Has anyone tried this, done this?
Regards
Jeff 72+2

Have a word with Spyder cars. They can do it, but listen to what they have to say.
Hal Adams
Evora S
Elan +2
HCA
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Bitsilly » Sun May 15, 2022 5:14 pm

I built a couple of cars with diy corsa units and separate electronic controls.
Pm me for a chat if you want.
Nowadays my first port of call is EZ steering which have already done the work on bracketry etc.
The main point is that the systems assist is varied depending on speed, communicated by pulses from wheel speed. All this is ditched for a pulse generator for retrofits. They will say it can be varied by a dial to allow extra assistance for parking but I gave never found the dial to make any difference.
Best to fit a designed kit and have constant level of assist across all speeds, which was incredibly awesome and helpful on a big V8 car!
Bitsilly
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: