Girling 2B servo problem

PostPost by: saildrive2001 » Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:19 pm

Update on my servo. I just separated the vacuum chamber & found that the diaphragm had a large split in it, so one problem solved. I also found what I think is engine oil in this area which I have no idea where it could have come from. The other explanation is that it is brake fluid, I am using a synthetic fluid. Whatever it is this appears to have attacked the rubber of the diaphragm thereby causing the failure. I will disassemble the rest of the servo in the next few days to see if one of the seals has failed.
Keith Marshall
69 S4 SE DHC RHD Original owner
saildrive2001
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: oldelanman » Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:52 pm

saildrive2001 wrote:The other explanation is that it is brake fluid, I am using a synthetic fluid.

You don't mean silicone fluid do you ? My rebuilt servo came with a warning not to use that. Synthetic dot 4 is what I use with no issues.

Servo warning 002.jpg and
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: saildrive2001 » Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:35 pm

Sorry for the error, yes I mean synthetic DOT4 fluid.
Keith Marshall
saildrive2001
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Hawksfield » Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:13 pm

Keith
That answers a lot of things I have never seen a split diagphram before and silicone fluid is definitely a no no in the classic car world. Silicone is a poor lubricant
John

+2s130 1971
Hawksfield
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: saildrive2001 » Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:57 pm

I'll take a picture of the diaphragm & post it later. I am now sure that the fluid is brake fluid & as I said originally & then repeated I am using synthetic DOT 4 fluid.
Keith Marshall
saildrive2001
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: saildrive2001 » Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:28 pm

Here are two photos of the diaphragm, one shows the split & the other the distortion of it due to the fluid attacking it. The area where the brake fluid has been sitting is quite soft & gummy.
Attachments
_MG_3006.jpg and
_MG_3004.jpg and
Keith Marshall
saildrive2001
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Hawksfield » Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:00 pm

Saildrive
It certainly looks like a solvent of some kind has attacked it. More like dissolved than torn.
John

+2s130 1971
Hawksfield
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: saildrive2001 » Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:31 pm

I think that's a better description, it really is like it has been dissolved by brake fluid. The unit was rebuilt in 2013 & I have put on about 10,000 miles since then.
Keith Marshall
saildrive2001
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: vxah » Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:26 pm

The destruction of servo diaphragms is often due to the failure of the vacuum check valve either in the pipe or at the actual servo vacuum connection.
As you cruise along or decelerate with a nice vacuum inside the servo and manifold it’s fine however, when you then accelerate the vacuum inside the manifold is lost so the built up vacuum inside the servo pulls air AND FUEL from the manifold into the unit.. resulting in what you now see!
Used to be, new servo? Change the check valve or no warranty!
vxah
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: JJ66 » Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:57 pm

Hello Keith,

I'm late to this I know, apologies for that. It sounds like the last post has hit the nail on the head, fuel or oil has rotted the diaphragm which is veg oil complaint but not mineral (engine oil) or fuel (particularly with the high Ethanol content of modern fuels). Just a final word of advice, even thought your car only does small mileage (same for most if us!), it is still important to change your brake fluid every 2 years, longer than that and it will absorb more water than is good for it, resulting in low boiling point and high chance of corroding master, slave, caliper piston and servo bores. Its a commonly overlooked point, but even a car sat with only a few miles per year still needs the same brake fluid change cycle as one doing 20k per year.

Regards, Jonathan
JJ66
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: saildrive2001 » Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:13 pm

Hi Jonathan,
No problem with the later reply, it's winter here so no driving the Elan for a few more months. I have shipped the valve block to J & L in the UK. I will post what they find with the valve block assembly. There is no question that the diaphragm was attacked by the brake fluid. There was absolutely no smell or evidence that gasoline or oil had entered the chamber. The one way valve in the servo works correctly & there is no evidence in it or the hose to show any oil or fuel leak. In Canada we can still buy gasoline without any ethanol in it which is what I use. I did flush the brake fluid a couple or more years ago but I must admit I don't do it religiously every two years.
Keith Marshall
saildrive2001
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: saildrive2001 » Mon May 16, 2022 8:47 pm

Here is an update on my servo problem. I sent the valve block back to J L Spares in Lancashire & they found that the piston was the wrong size & rebuilt it with the correct size one. The local rebuilder also added an additional return spring in the vacuum can that is not standard. The only explanation I have for these two errors are.
1 I took to them a MK1 servo & the MK2 that they rebuilt, they said the MK1 was not able to be rebuilt. I can only assume they maybe got the the two pistons mixed up.
2 I had an intermittent problem where the brakes would lock on when stopped. I returned it to them 3 times to try to solve the problem & each time they said when they bench tested the unit that it worked fine. I think that they thought the problem was the piston & diaphragm not returning fully, so they added another spring to stop what they thought might be the problem.
I have used the car four times since getting it back on the road & the brakes are better than they ever were after the rebuild by the local shop. They are as they should be.
The shop here in Ontario is a locally recognized rebuilder of all automotive hydraulic systems.
Keith Marshall
saildrive2001
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Previous

Total Online: