Girling 2B servo problem

PostPost by: Hawksfield » Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:46 pm

Saildrive
If you carry out the test when you switch off the engine you should have vacuum in the can locked in. After two minutes you should hear the air his as you press the brake.
If you here nothing then all vacuum has been lost due leaking air valve.
Try it again but instead of two minutes wait, try thirty seconds this may give you some air before it leaks away if you have none then the air valves need attention.
By the way is your car an S 130
John

+2s130 1971
Hawksfield
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: saildrive2001 » Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:04 pm

My car is an S4 SE DHC Elan not a +2
Keith Marshall
69 S4 SE DHC RHD Original owner
saildrive2001
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Hawksfield » Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:49 pm

Hi saildrive
Sorry about than I missed it in your first description
That explains the difficulty of access to get the valves air valves out.
John

+2s130 1971
Hawksfield
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: saildrive2001 » Sun Oct 24, 2021 3:56 pm

I blocked off the air intake to the servo (where the filter is), I separated the tube from the air valve to the vacuum tank & sealed off the part that goes to the air valve. The only way that air can get to the engine is if the diaphragm is leaking (at least that is what I think). When I started the engine the idle revs went immediately higher than normal. Do you agree that this proves that there is a leak in the diaphragm?
Keith Marshall
saildrive2001
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Hawksfield » Wed Nov 03, 2021 6:20 pm

Keith

Did you get a salution to your MK2B servo problem.
John

+2s130 1971
Hawksfield
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: saildrive2001 » Wed Nov 03, 2021 8:25 pm

As I said in the previous post, I think that the problem is a leak in the diaphragm but I will have to remove the servo to confirm that. This is going to be winter project & if I can't find a good place that rebuilds them I may tackle the job myself. If anyone knows the part # for a Girling replacement kit then I would appreciate you letting me know. I would especially like to know if there is a NA supplier of a repair kit. I have looked at Moss Motors online & they do have kits for Girling servos but they reference them to Triumph & other British Leyland cars & not Lotus.
Keith Marshall
saildrive2001
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Hawksfield » Thu Nov 04, 2021 8:52 am

Hi
Rebuild kits on eBay
John

+2s130 1971
Hawksfield
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: alanr » Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:21 am

I decided just putting a repair kit in a 50year old Servo was a waste of time/not cost effective and wanted mine resleeved with stainless liners as per this thread a couple of weeks ago.
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=49851

This is the returned Servo after recon and stainless releeved bores done by Past Parts in Bury St Edmunds. Final cost including VAT and Carriage both ways £284. I am very pleased with the end result.
Note:-Prices on their website are totally wrong..you need to call them for a quote/price.

Alan.
Attachments
Recon and re-sleeved servo.jpg and
Alan
'71 +2 S130/ 5speed Type9.
alanr
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: saildrive2001 » Thu Nov 04, 2021 4:10 pm

The problem I have living in Canada is the shipping costs to send the unit to the UK, that's why I might decide to give it a try & rebuild it myself. I rebuilt the engine & have done the head a couple of times so feel confident I can rebuild the servo.
Keith Marshall
saildrive2001
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: alanr » Thu Nov 04, 2021 4:20 pm

Humble apologies, I hadn't realised you were in Canada and not the UK!

I would still recommend though that you re-sleeve the bores. Maybe you can find a local company to you to do this? Just fitting a repair kit in a 50year old Servo will not I fear be a good enough long term solution to your problem.

Alan
Alan
alanr
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: saildrive2001 » Thu Nov 04, 2021 7:48 pm

No need to apologize, one solution could be for me to separate the tank part from the casting & send just the casting to be sleeved & rebuilt with new seals etc. & me to finish the assembly.
Keith Marshall
saildrive2001
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: alanr » Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:09 pm

Yes that may be a cheaper option for you to save on cost of shipping and I do believe they may offer the service of just doing the rebore /re-sleeve bit. Past Parts were very helpful in my dealings with them. Their rebore and fitting of stainless sleeves retain the standard size bores so giving the option to fit a standard size seal kit should it be needed in future years.
I suggest you get in touch with them.
https://www.pastparts.co.uk/index.php?r ... on/contact

Alan.
Alan
alanr
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Hawksfield » Fri Nov 05, 2021 12:07 pm

Keith

Have you stripped for inspection, I think you are looking at the worst condition remove the servo, cross pipe the brake hydraulics so you can use the car and asses the condition.
I have polished the body internals on two occaisions and fitted new seals both are are still in use after a number of years.
This is an option as long as there is no pitted corosion or deep scoring.
John

+2s130 1971
Hawksfield
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: vxah » Fri Nov 05, 2021 12:46 pm

saildrive2001 wrote:I blocked off the air intake to the servo (where the filter is), I separated the tube from the air valve to the vacuum tank & sealed off the part that goes to the air valve. The only way that air can get to the engine is if the diaphragm is leaking (at least that is what I think). When I started the engine the idle revs went immediately higher than normal. Do you agree that this proves that there is a leak in the diaphragm?

Yes I do, did you try blocking the open tank pipe while running? That should bring the rpm back down to confirm beyond doubt.
vxah
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: saildrive2001 » Fri Nov 05, 2021 2:47 pm

We are soon about to enter winter here so the car will be off the road until at least April, hopefully plenty of time to remove & fix the servo. When I dismantle it I will check to see if the bores are ok before deciding whether to have them sleeved. Ideally I would like to find someone here in Canada or in the US that can do the work to save on the cost of mailing.
Yes I did block the intake & the revs dropped.
If anyone on the forum knows of a place in Canada or the US that are good with servo rebuilds please let me know.
Keith Marshall
saildrive2001
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PreviousNext

Total Online: