Solid rack mounts and column coupling

PostPost by: jono » Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:22 am

What is the consensus on these 'upgrades'? On my last Pus 2 I used the std rubber isolated coupling but used solid rack mounts However I had nothing to compare the steering to beforehand (though the car steered beautifully)

I am inclined to stick to standard for both but would welcome views on pros and cons.

I was considering possibly going for poly on the rack clamps although I do have some NOS rubbers which are in perfect condition.

Thoughts welcomed :D
jono
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: baileyman » Sun Oct 10, 2021 4:26 pm

I have solid ones, along with heim joints etc., but I cannot feel the benefit. There's so much throttle steer available it seems like tightening up the rack is grasping at gnats. But others may think differently, and I hope to hear so below. John
baileyman
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: h20hamelan » Sun Oct 10, 2021 5:42 pm

I too am in the process of deciding. Had put rubber in the S4, which is fine. I consider poly to be an upgrade, as considering it probably holds some goop and oil.
Many seem to like the poly, same for solid. Seems like the solid offer more room for vibration, and poly like rubber a bit more give over time. Though I suppose tightening rubber or poly every now and again?
Born, and brought home from the hospital (no seat belt (wtf)) in a baby!
Find out where the limits are, and start from there
Love your Mother
Earth
h20hamelan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Sun Oct 10, 2021 6:38 pm

I went for poly rack mounts and u joint on the column. Seemed like a good balance between direct connection and avoiding excess transmission if noise and vibration. I wanted to feel what the wheels were doing and the feedback but not transmit the noIse/vibration through the rest of the car.

I am happy with it good steering feel and play. Without notifying much noise and vibration transmission. I think solid rack mounts might transmit more noise/Vibration through the chassis/car not just the steering.
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jono » Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:44 am

Cheers for comments - I've decided to go for poly rack bushes with original clamps and a solid U joint.

Sue Miller does do the flexi column joint (many don't now) but I am not sure where the rubber in them comes from and I've seen plenty of 'new' rubber start to crack in as little as 12 months on replacement parts in recent years so decided not to take the risk where an alternative is available
jono
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: andyelan » Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:33 pm

Hi There

I changed to solid rack mounts on my Plus 2 and found no detrimental effects whatsoever, there was certainly no increase in vibration or harshness. That said, I'll admit I didn't notice much improvement either.

The main reason I went with the solid mounts was that I found I could get much more consistent result when adjusting the rack height to minimise bump steer and getting that right most definitely does make a difference.

Regards
Andy
andyelan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: