Trimming the inner RW bearing seal - methods?

PostPost by: Lotus Guy » Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:17 am

When refitting the inner bearings to hubs, the workshop manual says to ensure the 60mm o-ring seal on the outside of the bearing is trimmed, or it will likely get partially pressed out when fitting and then interfere with the dust shield and not leave enough space for the circlip. Some literature also says remove it - other does not mention trimming at all.

Interested in views on whether the seal is needed, or needs to be trimmed. I have already had a knife slip and sever an o-ring. What is the best method for doing the trimming? Would avaiation gasket compound in the o-ring groove do the same job - and with no chance of it interfering with the dust cover?
1971 Elan Sprint dhc
1987 Turbo Esprit hci
2005 Elise 111R Type 79
Lotus Guy
New-tral

PostPost by: mbell » Thu Oct 07, 2021 5:42 pm

I did this and just pressed the bearings in as is. Which trimmed the seal as it went in, but I had to get the discarded bits out from under the dust shield.

Personally I'd just remove the o ring as the bearing is an interference fit, the outer bearing doesn't have a o ring and the ,possibly original, bearings I removed didn't have the o ring (or channel for one).

I wouldn't use any kind of sealer in its place. I may use some bearing compound if the fit to the housing was lose.
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: fatboyoz » Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:10 pm

Hi Guy,
When the manual refers to trimming the seal, they are referring to the seal on the face of the bearing that the dust shield sits up against (the side facing the diff’).They are not referring to the O’Ring that sits in the groove. The O’Ring was for a different application of the bearing.
A lightweight, retractable, box cutter knife or a one sided razor blade would do the job.
Cheers,
Colin.

quote="Lotus Guy"]When refitting the inner bearings to hubs, the workshop manual says to ensure the 60mm o-ring seal on the outside of the bearing is trimmed, or it will likely get partially pressed outtake when fitting and then interfere with the dust shield and not leave enough space for the circlip. Some literature also says remove it - other does not mention trimming at all.

Interested in views on whether the seal is needed, or needs to be trimmed. I have already had a knife slip and sever an o-ring. What is the best method for doing the trimming? Would avaiation gasket compound in the o-ring groove do the same job - and with no chance of it interfering with the dust cover?[/quote]
'68 S4 DHC
fatboyoz
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Lotus Guy » Fri Oct 08, 2021 9:07 am

Thanks for the replies. Maybe the bearing design has changed over the years. The one I fitted was flat between the inner and outer race on one side, but did sit proud on the other side. I fitted it so that the proud side faced inside the hub where there would be no interference. Hopefully these bearings are not "sided".
1971 Elan Sprint dhc
1987 Turbo Esprit hci
2005 Elise 111R Type 79
Lotus Guy
New-tral

PostPost by: gjz30075 » Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:05 pm

^^^exactly as I fitted them, too.
Greg Z
45/0243K Sprint
45/7286 S3 SE DHC
gjz30075
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:01 pm

Same here. I think on some (older?) bearings part of the inner seal protruded over the edge of the inner race and needs trimming to allow the cir-clip to be fit to the shaft once the bearing has been pressed on.

Newer bearing seem to have a different, flat, seal arrangement that doesn't require trimming but some of them have a o ring on the outer race that needs removing/trimming before fitting.
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Craven » Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:14 pm

Lotus Guy wrote:Thanks for the replies. Maybe the bearing design has changed over the years. The one I fitted was flat between the inner and outer race on one side, but did sit proud on the other side. I fitted it so that the proud side faced inside the hub where there would be no interference. Hopefully these bearings are not "sided".

viewtopic.php?f=42&t=49244&p=357344#p357344
Craven
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: