difference between 26r and standard front wishbones

PostPost by: dgym » Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:42 am

can anyone tell me the difference between the 26r vs standard style front wishbones? all other things being equal?
Attachments
Screen Shot 2021-10-06 at 6.04.43 pm.png and
Screen Shot 2021-10-06 at 6.04.49 pm.png and
36/6612
1967 S3 Coupe (left the factory in 66)
original rego PPC 8E
original owner B.M. Wetherill ..are you out there?
dgym
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: 661 » Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:06 am

Instead of straight, the 26Rs are angled to allow a lower ride height but keeping roughly the same geometry.
Graeme
S4 SE
S2 GTS
Caterham 420R
Sold - Peterson JPS Exige
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 661 » Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:12 am

TTR front wishbones.jpg and
Graeme
S4 SE
S2 GTS
Caterham 420R
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: dgym » Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:37 am

Cheers Graeme!
36/6612
1967 S3 Coupe (left the factory in 66)
original rego PPC 8E
original owner B.M. Wetherill ..are you out there?
dgym
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: baileyman » Thu Oct 07, 2021 1:40 pm

I wondered about this when I got mine. they look stronger, with extra flange metal, but I think Rohan runs a standard set without failures. And I have not heard anyone else talk about failures. So I wonder if the 26R flanges are more style than substance.

The 26R changes the angle for the upper ball joint. With the 1" lowering the ball joints then ends up back in a fairly normal orientation. I have not heard of failures related to those angles either.

I was very surprised to find my set came with no washer reinforcement of the holes. Makes me think maybe the forces are not that great. And I'm afraid a nylon hammer would have proven useless to adjust the ends near the mag wheels. Rather aggressive wailing with a 2 pounder was more persuasive, and even then adjust the right locations to avoid fouling the rims was a challenge. It seemed to me the holes for attachment to the ball joint were too low on the arms, so the top flange stood proud of the ball joint casting. Since the ball joint is right up next to the rim, this exacerbated the interference.
baileyman
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: 661 » Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:58 pm

baileyman wrote:I wondered about this when I got mine. they look stronger, with extra flange metal, but I think Rohan runs a standard set without failures. And I have not heard anyone else talk about failures. So I wonder if the 26R flanges are more style than substance.

The 26R changes the angle for the upper ball joint. With the 1" lowering the ball joints then ends up back in a fairly normal orientation. I have not heard of failures related to those angles either.

I was very surprised to find my set came with no washer reinforcement of the holes. Makes me think maybe the forces are not that great. And I'm afraid a nylon hammer would have proven useless to adjust the ends near the mag wheels. Rather aggressive wailing with a 2 pounder was more persuasive, and even then adjust the right locations to avoid fouling the rims was a challenge. It seemed to me the holes for attachment to the ball joint were too low on the arms, so the top flange stood proud of the ball joint casting. Since the ball joint is right up next to the rim, this exacerbated the interference.

Yup, superbly engineered not to fit.
I cut my top wishbones , bent them in, then TiG'd them back up. Had them nickel plated.
I also welded an AN washer on both shock bolt holes.
Graeme
S4 SE
S2 GTS
Caterham 420R
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: