S2 Front Shocks, Springs And Dust Cover

PostPost by: memini55 » Thu Mar 18, 2004 5:39 pm

Greetings all,

I am rebuilding both front shocks on my s2. Have five good Koni's from various sources, two sets of springs and a pair of dust covers. A few questions about reassembly. Both sets of springs are of different length, one set a couple inches shorter that the other. Anyone know the correct length for street use??

The old shocks from the car have the longer springs and also had the original Armstrong dust boots on them. Should the boots be retained on reassembly??
One of the other set of Koni's had no dust boots so I am looking for some help here.

Thanks to all and I enjoy all the advice from the board.
Mark Doubet
66 S2
memini55
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: simonknee » Thu Mar 18, 2004 6:38 pm

The boots will help stop the springs rubbing the struts but then the springs rub the boots instead. Such is life. There was some talk of using teflon sheets to wrap the struts to prevent the irritaing noise you get.

Not sure as to length but I sugest getting a new pair since how do you know both these have the same rate?
Simon
'67 S3 FHC 36/7002
'69 +2 50/1370 (stolen '00)
simonknee
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: memini55 » Thu Mar 18, 2004 7:09 pm

Simon,

Didn't make myself clear on the dust boot, this is over the top of the spring as shown in the manual. I have cleaned them up and they are Armstrong which would have been the original shocks. I am going to put a hard plastic cover over the outside tube of the shock, found a polycarbonate cover for flourescent light bulb which is clear and about the right size. It is a bit snug so I will heat it in boiling water to expand and the slip in place. Should hold up well.

Thanks
Mark
memini55
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: saarhus » Thu Mar 18, 2004 7:46 pm

The Dave Bean catalog shows the S1-S2 front free length as 16.1" and the S3-S4 as 16.75".

Stan Aarhus
saarhus
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: khamai » Thu Mar 18, 2004 8:09 pm

stock is 16" free length, 75lb/in (per manual)
Life is more fun behind the wheel of a Lotus!
www.gglotus.org
www.gglotus.org/blog
khamai
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: