Front suspension : the new bushes started to slide

PostPost by: GregSCF » Sun May 16, 2021 2:07 pm

I bought the top ball joint at PaulMatty’s
https://paulmattysportscars.co.uk/product-category/elan-2/suspension-elan-2/front-suspension/ball-joints-front-suspension/
I’m quite confident that this is the right width…

But I not sure that it is a good idea to glue the bushes in place with loctite… this will make the next replacement (in 10 years) so difficult :shock:
GregSCF
New-tral

PostPost by: alan.barker » Sun May 16, 2021 2:28 pm

If they move inside the Wishbone what other solution is there.
When you replace the Bush you can heat it up which destroys the Loctite.
To remove the old Bush i threadle through the hole a Hacksaw blade. Reconnect the Hacksaw Frame and very carefully saw without cutting the Wishbone. Bush then comes out easy without enlarging hole in Wishbone. So new Bush is a press fit.
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: NTG999 » Sun May 16, 2021 6:46 pm

I would remove the 2 bolts through the top ball joint then on the side where the picture says '5mm slide' move the wishbone up and down by hand, does it spring back or does the bush stay where it is? Maybe draw a horizontal line on it with a Sharpie to aid.
If the bush stays put, then the nut, because there is no washer maybe has locked the inner and outer of the bush together and the bush is busy reaming the inside of the suspension arm.
If so then remove and inspect, if there is still some interference I can't see any problem using loctite/retainer
NTG999
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: 661 » Mon May 17, 2021 8:44 am

GregSCF wrote:I bought the top ball joint at PaulMatty’s
https://paulmattysportscars.co.uk/product-category/elan-2/suspension-elan-2/front-suspension/ball-joints-front-suspension/

I’m quite confident that this is the right width…

But I not sure that it is a good idea to glue the bushes in place with loctite… this will make the next replacement (in 10 years) so difficult :shock:

I suspect you are right, the ball joints are all pretty much the same. But, if you start shimmimg the inner side of the wishbones with washers then the gap for the ball joint widens (unless you unwisely tension the wishbones at a lateral angle). The solution is to shim the ball joint, only if required.
Graeme
S4 SE
S2 GTS
Caterham 420R
Sold - Peterson JPS Exige
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: snowyelan » Tue May 25, 2021 6:32 pm

viewtopic.php?f=42&t=49191

FYI Another case of loose bushings.
Scott
45/9011
Hawkestone, On, Ca
snowyelan
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Tue May 25, 2021 7:09 pm

I don't press out only cut from hole to side with Hacksaw Blade carefully
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Donels » Tue May 25, 2021 9:43 pm

I would suggest getting back to basics. The bushes should be a interference fit in the wishbones and then the inner tube is clamped so that suspension movement is taken in shear by the rubber. Gluing the bush is not the answer, nor are washers. Either the wishbones are too large or the bushes too small. Measure both, find the errant bit and you’re going to have to replace it. If the bushes just rotate in the wishbones they will wear quickly, rattle and you’re back to square one.
Elan +2
Elise mk 1
Donels
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Bigbaldybloke » Fri Jun 04, 2021 6:58 pm

A bit late commenting, but to me it looks like the bushes were too loose a fit in the arms, my original ones needed a hydraulic press to get them out after many years and the new ones went in with the aid of a large vice and brute force (no access to the press by the time of the rebuild). Mine has standard washers behind the nuts, but it is a Spyder chassis with removable spindles so may be different.
Attachments
B4BC7498-25D7-4AD5-A511-82240755D605.jpeg and
Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine!
Bigbaldybloke
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Previous

Total Online: