Installing a seat belt mounting bracket

PostPost by: Bahamayellow » Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:07 pm

Hello advice sought.

I posted a while ago on this topic and have now purchased the two seat belt mounting brackets that sit under the rear chassis upright.

My question is to fit the bracket do I have to remove the entire shock unit, bearing housing etc or can I get the damper low enough to slide the bracket over the top?

Any advice appreciated.

Mike
Mike
1971 Lotus Elan Sprint
1963 1071 Cooper S
Bahamayellow
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: bitsobrits » Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:13 pm

Mike,

You should be able to remove the two Lotocone (rubber top shock mount) bolts and move the shock down low enough. Car will of course need to be raised with wheel removed.

And as I type this, it occurs to me that removing the Lotocone mount bolts can be a right PITA if they are the original thin headed bolts and very crusty. In that case you will need to remove the top shock nut first, lower the shock assembly, then remove the Lotocone.
Steve

Elan S1 1963-Bourne bodied
Elan S3 1967 FHC pre airflow

Formerly:
Elan S1 1964
Elan S3 1966 FHC pre airflow
Elan S3 1967 FHC airflow
Elan S4 1969 FHC
Europa S2 1970
Esprit S2 1979
bitsobrits
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: ericbushby » Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:49 pm

Hi Mike
The lotocone passes through the seat belt bracket so it has to be removed to fit the new bracket. I doubt if you can access the screws with the spring in place.
I was there quite recently and this is what I did.
Compress the spring down to about 11". Quite small spring compressor needed.
Remove brake caliper and tie up.
Disconnect bottom of suspension strut from A frame.
I removed the A frame completely because I needed to paint it. That may not be necessary in your case.
Disconnect drive shaft and remove brake disc.
Remove castellated nut from hood tray/parcel shelf and lower strut assembly.
You can now get to the two screws which hold the lotocone to the top of the suspension tower.
It may be that some of this procedure is not necessary in your case. Please let us know.
Hope this helps
Eric in Burnley
1967 S3SE DHC
ericbushby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Bahamayellow » Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:51 pm

Hi Eric sorry forgot to say there’s no seat belt bracket on as it had a roll cage.
Mike
1971 Lotus Elan Sprint
1963 1071 Cooper S
Bahamayellow
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: ericbushby » Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:30 pm

Yeh OK, It might be a lot easier then
Eric
ericbushby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Bahamayellow » Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:59 pm

Hi I got the seat belt mounts on with much difficulty but without removing the whole assembly. My main problem now is how to guide the damper back up through the slotted lotocone and in to position? I have tried jacking up the housing but cannot get the angle right. I’m hoping I don’t have to revert to removing everything.

Help please!
Mike
1971 Lotus Elan Sprint
1963 1071 Cooper S
Bahamayellow
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: ericbushby » Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:37 pm

Hi Mike.
That`s progress then.
When I was there, I could not fit the rear strut assembly without compressing the spring to 11". There is not much clearance for the compressors and it may take a few adjustments to clear the bodywork. Use the smallest compressors you can find. £16.00 from China via ebay, well made and worked a treat.
Thread a piece of wire through the cross drilling where the castellated nut goes at the top and feed it through the lotocone as a guide. Have the nut already on the wire ready to fit whilst still pulling on the wire.
Someone else needs to be underneath lifting the strut and wiggling until it lines up and goes in.
I tried jacking it up, but could not get it all in line that way and couldn`t wiggle it.
Best of luck
Eric in Burnley
1967 S3SE DHC
ericbushby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Bahamayellow » Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:30 pm

Hi Eric you don’t have a link do you for the compressor nine are halfords and far to big. I nearly had it but just wouldn’t click in the slot. Unfortunately I have Adjustable dampers and there doesn’t appear to be a hole. Hmm will try to see if I can get a smaller set of spring compressors.

Thanks

Mike
Mike
1971 Lotus Elan Sprint
1963 1071 Cooper S
Bahamayellow
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: ericbushby » Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:59 pm

Mike,
I cannot find the exact item which I bought, nor can I get a link to work properly, but -vidaxl 90-370 spring compressor- £14.99 looks exactly right. In stock in London so should be quick delivery.
The screws were too long and touched the top of the tower, so I made some tubular spacers to fit under the heads.
It is a bit tight in there.
Keep going
Eric
ericbushby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:21 am

Once the Spring is compressed with normal compressors some people use Heavy Duty Ratchet Straps.
You can put Plastic Cable Ties/Ty Wraps to help stop the Shock Piston rod going down.
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: