Elan +2 tyres

PostPost by: ericbushby » Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:14 pm

Hi All,
As mbell says above the grip can be reduced considerably.
Having bought a car requiring a lot of work, I did not notice that the tyres were old and they looked OK.
Twice when giving it a little power when exiting a roundabout, which is a thing I tend to do, the car spun out of control and I could not correct it. Both times the road was wet.
New tyres cured that. I suppose the rubber had gone hard.
Eric in Burnley
S3SE DHC
ericbushby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:43 pm

I had car with what looked like good but older tires do a four wheel drift/slide down just normal road camber in the rain, this was while passing a tractor trailer. Luckily I manage to catch it before I got too close, but wasn't a fun experience.
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: The Veg » Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:17 am

Grip was my main concern since all tires eventually harden with age- not if but how much. Being a bit spirited in some curves near me they’ve seemed okay; a little drift but as I have no experience with fresh rubber on this car I really can’t say how much grip they’ve lost. I won’t worry too much for now.
1970 Elan Plus 2 (not S) 50/2036
2012 BMW R1200GS
"It just wouldn't be a complete day if I didn't forget something!" -Me
The Veg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elancoupe » Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:30 pm

dougal cawley wrote:

The good news is that towards the end of this year i will be getting a Pirelli Cinturato CN36 which will be fantastic on and Elan +2. I am hoping to keep the price down as well, but that is tricky on quality manufacturers making small batch tyres. I will be happy if i can keep it bellow a £onner

These cars will handle better fitted with proper Classic tyres rather than a tyre that just happens to be the right size.

Currently i think the only classic tyres in the 165R13 size are the Dunlop and Michelin XAS. Sadly the Dunlop are no longer actually manufactured by Dunlop themselves, they are made else where under lisence. The Michelin however is made by Michelin, and for now i have no doubt in suggesting that these are the best tyres for an Elan. I had them on a ZeTech engined Cortina that i raced they were epic. But when the CN36 is made then the XAS will have some competition.

Reifen test AB Klassik table.jpg

Any updates here?
Mike
elancoupe
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: dougal cawley » Wed Feb 01, 2023 4:42 pm

Hi
elancoupe wrote:
dougal cawley wrote:
Reifen test AB Klassik table.jpg

Any updates here?

Yes!

They are on the shelf

https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/classi ... /elan.html

and all being well we will have a 155R13 CA67 too as well!
dougal cawley
Second Gear
Second Gear

Previous

Total Online: