Elan +2 tyres

PostPost by: alanr » Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:10 am

checkrail wrote:I recently had a set of 165 80 x 13 Kumho's fitted to my +2 at my local depot from Black Tyres, total price was £200 inc.
They suit my purpose as I am in my seventies and will outlive me, perhaps I was lucky but the whole process was hassle free even with the standard Lotus alloys

John

It would be good to establish the fitted diameter of the 165 80 x13 Kumho's? Does anyone know if there is a manufacturer figure anywhere ? Or is it possible for you to just measure one please?

Thinking about this though I guess the problem is the soft walls of modern tyres will probably reduce the rolling diameter more than a proper classic harder walled tyre when on the car?
As I have save before my personal concerns are the effect different tyre diameters have on overall gearing.
Thoughts?

Alan
Alan
'71 +2 S130/ 5speed Type9.
alanr
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Quart Meg Miles » Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:59 pm

alanr wrote:Yes the thread has drifted but then most threads usually do don't they...

The OP was asking about cheap tyres for a +2 and quoting Michelin Energy in 165/80/13 for a +2 as a cheap tyre is not really a cheap suggestion is it? In searching I found they are are way more expensive that Michelin XAS and not even H rated.
https://www.mytyres.co.uk/rshop/Summer- ... d/Michelin

Alan

£250 each! That's ridiculous I certainly didn't pay that sort of money in 2013, so my apologies. i intended to indicate there were decent tyres in the "normal" brands. :oops:
Meg

26/4088 1965 S1½ Old and scruffy but in perfect working order; the car too.
________________Put your money where your mouse is, click on "Support LotusElan.net" below.
Quart Meg Miles
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: draenog » Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:01 pm

Quart Meg Miles wrote:
alanr wrote:Yes the thread has drifted but then most threads usually do don't they...

The OP was asking about cheap tyres for a +2 and quoting Michelin Energy in 165/80/13 for a +2 as a cheap tyre is not really a cheap suggestion is it? In searching I found they are are way more expensive that Michelin XAS and not even H rated.

Alan

£250 each! That's ridiculous I certainly didn't pay that sort of money in 2013, so my apologies. i intended to indicate there were decent tyres in the "normal" brands. :oops:

That's because they're white wall tyres. They don't appear to have the normal version...
draenog
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: alanr » Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:37 pm

Quart Meg Miles wrote:

Alan

No need to apologise!
Tyres being consumable and expensive the more options that we all find to consider for our cars is great I think. We all want the best tyre that suits our own budget and give the best performance for the money!

Alan
Alan
alanr
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: jasper2347 » Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:43 pm

Sizes for the tyres are 165/80 x 13 is 23.4" diameter and the 185/70 x 13 is 23.2" diameter. Rob. :D
jasper2347
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: jasper2347 » Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:03 pm

Just read an earlier post by gherit. I agree that the Falken tyres with an 'A'' grip rating are very good. A few rally parts supply firms sell these and I have found then very good for the price. Last ones we bought were £50 each. :D
jasper2347
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: stugilmour » Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:46 pm

Humm, looks like bad news in North America. While the Kuhmo Solis TA11 (is that the specific Kuhmo being considered?) is still showing as available for the Elan in 155/80/13, it appears to be NLA in 165/80/13. Just going off Discount Tire Direct.

I went with Nankung 165/80/13 tires last year, but have not given them a real test yet. Seem OK. They are no longer showing as available either though.

Plus 1 on the Vredestein. They were great, but unfortunately Coker discontinued them over here.

Those Pirelli’s look sweet. Here’s hoping Dougal will ship to Canada by the time I wear out the current China Bombs. :D

Back in the day I went thru several sets of Michelin XAS on an Alfa. They were great, but became diabolical in the wet when worn.

YMMV. Cheers!

YMMV
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: The Veg » Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:10 am

The Nankangs seem to be available from WalMart (Evil, horrible merchant I avoid if at all possible) and there appear to be some other options (but also not major respected brands) at Amazon (another merchant I prefer to avoid). Amazon also lists several trailer-tires in 165/80-13, so shop carefully! But then as light and un-demanding as these cars are, I wonder if the trailer-tires would really be all that bad...

My car came with a set of Prestige Radialmax which were made in Brasil. They're at least five years old as that's how long I've had the car but have few-enough miles on them that they're still covered with moulding-nubs and seem like new and quite pliable, no evidence of hardening or cracking (they've only lived outdoors for one year that I know of). They certainly seem to work well enough in the few miles I've driven. I have a set of Revolution alloys waiting to go on the car at some point; haven't decided yet what to put on them.
1970 Elan Plus 2 (not S) 50/2036
2012 BMW R1200GS
"It just wouldn't be a complete day if I didn't forget something!" -Me
The Veg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: h20hamelan » Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:45 am

Stu, a couple years of looking with the western Canadian tyre distributors. Also recently, Total Tire, National Tires as well as the obvious Cdn Kal etc.
There really is not much in 13”.
I normally go Cdn as their sales are unbeatable. But a few garages I drop cars off to give me good deals. This is how I can search Total and National etc.
Pmctire.com is my other choice. They do offer some good tires, and fair pricing.
Partsengine.ca assured me after they checked with Nankung that there would be stock again this year, so I ordered some. We will see if they arrive for summer for some alloys on the S4.

Again, my choice tyre would be the Toyo. About $80 each shipping included from PMC (which I also got a set of). I am not speaking highly about the customer service of PMC, nore their return policy as I have had a tough time with them. So maybe a few extra dollars to someone like Cdn tire or your local tyre shop...( i am about 4 hr to a Cdn tire)

The other big problem now a days is Covid. I buy most of my truck tyres from Kal. Their western rep says only buy what there is lots of stock on. As anything rare and oddball wont be around ever again. He went on to say, forget finding 13, 14, 15, and 16” tyres as there are only a few vehicles these days (everything is a suv/cross) with 17, 18, 19 etc. So be warned!

p.s Longstonetyres had mine airmailed (price includes shipping!), here in the wilds of BC 6 days later!!!!! Pirelli, looking good. Soft modern compound and technology.

P.p.s based on my guy at Kal saying tyres will be tough to find. I got 3 sets for the 2 elan’s, 3 sets for my Volvo’s 1 extra for the winter service car. Touch wood, I will be good for a few years.
Born, and brought home from the hospital (no seat belt (wtf)) in a baby!
Find out where the limits are, and start from there
Love your Mother
Earth
h20hamelan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: stugilmour » Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:50 am

The Veg wrote:The Nankangs seem to be available from WalMart (Evil, horrible merchant I avoid if at all possible) and there appear to be some other options (but also not major respected brands) at Amazon (another merchant I prefer to avoid). Amazon also lists several trailer-tires in 165/80-13, so shop carefully! But then as light and un-demanding as these cars are, I wonder if the trailer-tires would really be all that bad...

Those are the ones Veg. Good price too.

I found they are/were ridiculously priced from Canadian suppliers, so I had Discount Tire Direct ship them to Montana for pickup. H2Ohamelan, maybe Walmart US would do something similar? Amazon Canada wants $175 CDN a corner with delivery! 1010Tire.com is not much better at $140 CDN plus shipping.

Nankang CX668 165/80R13 83 T Tire

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Nankang-CX66 ... e/55190144

I see Walmart also has them in 155/80R13 for the Elan.

Cheers
Last edited by stugilmour on Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:59 am

I think discount tires might still sell them but not list them in there website for some reason. If you looking for them worth giving them a call just to confirm if they can get them out not.
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: The Veg » Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:15 am

I would MUCH rather deal with Discount. Been using them for ages with my other cars and quite satisfied.
1970 Elan Plus 2 (not S) 50/2036
2012 BMW R1200GS
"It just wouldn't be a complete day if I didn't forget something!" -Me
The Veg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alanr » Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:25 am

jasper2347 wrote:Sizes for the tyres are 165/80 x 13 is 23.4" diameter and the 185/70 x 13 is 23.2" diameter. Rob. :D

For what make of tyre are these measurements?
Not all makes of 165/80 13 are the same diameter. It depends on the manufacturer and they seem to vary between 592mm fitted diameter and 600mm fitted diameter!

Alan
Alan
alanr
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: h20hamelan » Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:48 am

I ordered the Nankang NS-II NS Ultra-Sport UHP Tires -175/60R13SL $70 cdn delivered

Amazon Canada gets most of their stuff from the USA wearhouses, as Our Master Lord Bazos hasn’t finished buying Canada Post yet.
Born, and brought home from the hospital (no seat belt (wtf)) in a baby!
Find out where the limits are, and start from there
Love your Mother
Earth
h20hamelan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jasper2347 » Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:59 pm

Wouldn't be worried about fitting Nankang tyres at all. Although they sound a cheap breed, they are very good. We have fit quite a few for customers and they have been delighted with the performance.

In regard to tyre sizes. The sizes quoted are what industry standards quote. Many tyre manufacturers tyres end up being up or down a few mil, made worse if under or over inflated when fitted, which is why I just use the size to compare if a customer wants a different profile on the same vehicle. We run Yokohama A048 185/70 x 13 on our hillclimb +2. We also have a set of wheels with 195/60 x 14" , which are the same rolling radius as the 13's. The standard and GPS speedo reads the same as the 165 x 13's we have on the road going rims. Speedo on the car is quite accurate actually, reads about 2mph slow at 70mph according to the GPS.. Good for speed traps!

This post shows how tyre prices vary in different parts of the world.
jasper2347
Second Gear
Second Gear

PreviousNext

Total Online: