Elan +2 tyres

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:00 am

Here's another classic tyre by Yokohama that could be considered

https://www.blackcircles.com/catalogue/ ... e=41486396

I have Kuhmo tyres on my +2, but on 14 inch rims, they don't look very classic but I have no complaints
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alanr » Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:49 am

Good find..
However, it is a bit confusing.... It shows 165/80 13 but further down it says the GT Special Classic comes in rim sizes ranging from 14 to 15inch!.

Alan.
Alan
'71 +2 S130/ 5speed Type9.
alanr
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: dougal cawley » Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:50 am

joe7 wrote:"But when the CN36 is made then the XAS will have some competition." Based on the table I would say that the XAS already has some competition from the Vredestiens. And price wise there isn't any competition from the XAS when including the required tubes. Unfortunately they aren't currently available. Perhaps someone could prompt them to start producing these again.

to be honest i was stunned when the Vredestein beat the Michelin. 2 points to not here is that the Michelin scored better than the Vredestein in the dry. Te other point is that his is a test of the XWX not the XAS. The XAS we are currently seeling are the softer FF compound, so t hey will be better in the wet.

the rest of that reveiew is on here https://www.cinturato.net/images/test-c ... s-0716.pdf

The one thing they didn't test on here is fashion, and the Vredestein looks nothing like a classic tyre handling tyres.

the 165R13 CN36 i am hoping to have by the end of the year. https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/pirell ... -cn36.html

i am also hoping to have a 155HR13 CA67 by the end of the year for the standard Elan too. I have 155HR15 Cinturato CA67 on my Elite. They are lovely.
Attachments
Lotus_Elite_Type_14_Laurens_Parsons_2020_com-13.jpg and
dougal cawley
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:55 am

alanr wrote:Good find..
However, it is a bit confusing.... It shows 165/80 13 but further down it says the GT Special Classic comes in rim sizes ranging from 14 to 15inch!.

Alan.

Hi Alan,
Yes, I read that and was thinking a phone call might be worthwile if considering them.

Dougal's advice is sound (Longstone Tyres), the Pirellis would be a nice touch.
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alanr » Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:11 am

Spyder fan wrote:
alanr wrote:Good find..

Alan.

Hi Alan,
Yes, I read that and was thinking a phone call might be worthwile if considering them.

Dougal's advice is sound (Longstone Tyres), the Pirellis would be a nice touch.

I agree, I would much prefer the Pirellis but unsure if I can wait until the end of the year!
Having googled some more on the Yokohamas I see from their own website they do, do 165/80 13inch. The GT Special Classic tyre was launched in 2019 I see.

Alan
Alan
alanr
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:17 am

Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: dougal cawley » Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:31 am

wouldn't you rather have a Dunlop or Michelin?

https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/tyres/155-13.html
dougal cawley
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: alanr » Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:31 pm

Doug,
I would dearly love the Michelin XAS but it is just too much money to a do 2-3000 miles a year road use on and then throw away after 5years-6years.
The Dunlop somehow doesn't appeal for some reason. The tread pattern is like the the old G800 from my youth and it didn't do much for me then. Maybe I should look at it again?

Don't mind paying around the £100-£120 mark per tyre but after that I am done.

Alan
Alan
alanr
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: jasper2347 » Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:16 pm

Regards the time line on tyres. The only thing that degrades these modern tyres is UV light. Nothing to do with age. We have racing tyres for our Elan and when not in use they are stored in black bin bags to keep any light from getting at them. We have used our road tyres for years now by lifting the car when not in use and or covering with the same bags. Keep them off the ground and out of the sun and all will be well. Our road tyres are 10 years old now and show no signs of degrading or cracking as they would do if exposed to the weather. Even rotating the wheels if the car is stood for a while will help. Rob (ex Mich. tech) :D
jasper2347
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: h20hamelan » Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:07 pm

+1 to jasper's comments, sun kills (and gives life).
This is why tyres are stored in wear houses not in fields which would be more cost effective.

The Yokohama tyres look like a very round shoulder, older bias style if vintage looks are your thing.
Born, and brought home from the hospital (no seat belt (wtf)) in a baby!
Find out where the limits are, and start from there
Love your Mother
Earth
h20hamelan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alanr » Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:16 pm

In my experience you can have a 10year old tyre that looks perfect, no wall cracks and generally looks as good as new but the car will just not handle properly or anywhere near as good as when the tyre was younger. In some cases it can be downright dangerous.
It is the number of heat cycles the tyre has gone through together with the general rubber ageing that means it is time to replace way before they get that old.

Alan
Alan
alanr
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: h20hamelan » Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:37 pm

since 2011, tyres have a date stamp for a reason as well.

I think one needs to compare apples to apples. If a tyre is out of service, and stored out of sun. Versus a car parked for 10 years, and the tyres never moved/rotated/heat cycled etc.

Not saying its perfect, and there is a reason tyres get date stamped.

One thought is composites from above the earth, such as actual rubber tree rubber (if its been used in 70 years?). Are not as UV sensitive as products from below the earth.

Some of my trucks with Michelin tyres are cracking, and have not been in the sun. The outside of the tyre is more cracked than the inside. Others with Bridgestone or Toyo of the same age are not. There is a lot of debate on Expedition and RV chat fourms about this. Most consensus is harder compound (like Michelin) are more prone.

Either way, I will be urged when I think of tyre costs to drive an elan more. So this is a good thing! :wink:
Born, and brought home from the hospital (no seat belt (wtf)) in a baby!
Find out where the limits are, and start from there
Love your Mother
Earth
h20hamelan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Quart Meg Miles » Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:59 pm

This thread has 'drifted' from the OP's request for a cheap tyre. Talk of XAS and the like is totally inappropriate here.

I fitted Michelin Energy in 2013 (13/80-145) and they are stable in dry and wet conditions. They are quiet and slide controllably with power on roundabouts, if you want. I haven't noticed deterioration while I've had them, 22,000 miles.
Meg

26/4088 1965 S1½ Old and scruffy but in perfect working order; the car too.
________________Put your money where your mouse is, click on "Support LotusElan.net" below.
Quart Meg Miles
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alanr » Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:41 am

Yes the thread has drifted but then most threads usually do don't they...

The OP was asking about cheap tyres for a +2 and quoting Michelin Energy in 165/80/13 for a +2 as a cheap tyre is not really a cheap suggestion is it? In searching I found they are are way more expensive that Michelin XAS and not even H rated.
https://www.mytyres.co.uk/rshop/Summer- ... d/Michelin

Alan
Alan
alanr
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: checkrail » Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:02 am

I recently had a set of 165 80 x 13 Kumho's fitted to my +2 at my local depot from Black Tyres, total price was £200 inc.
They suit my purpose as I am in my seventies and will outlive me, perhaps I was lucky but the whole process was hassle free even with the standard Lotus alloys

John
checkrail
Third Gear
Third Gear

PreviousNext

Total Online: