steering shaft sliding clamp

PostPost by: wolfchen » Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:01 pm

The steering shaft on my elan s2 has a sliding connection under the dash to effect a collapsible column ,I think
it's held together by a grub screw and clamp. I have tightened it multiple times but it invariable loosens in a bit of driving. I have tried Loctite blue,as Loctite red might make it permanent and if worn would need to be replaced,
so is there a better sturdier design or fix, it's annoying to attend to as it is hard to access under dash.

anyone else tackle this problem ?
Attachments
sterring parts elan s2.jpg and
wolfchen
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: RogerFrench » Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:59 pm

Make sure it's bearing squarely on the flat of the inner shaft. It will quickly loosen if not.
RogerFrench
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: ericbushby » Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:13 pm

Hi,
Is there a locknut. You have not mentioned it. The grub screw should be tightened to the correct torque and then locked with the nut.
Eric in Burnley
1967 S3SE DHC
ericbushby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: oldelanman » Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:23 pm

Tighten the two bolts holding the clamp together before tightening the grub screw or the two halves of the clamp may not be seated properly and may move causing the bolts to loosen. If it's correctly fitted and, as already said, bearing on the flat section of the shaft and with the locknut in place, you should not need Loctite.

Correct torque for the grub screw according to the W/S Manual is 26-32 lb ft. No specified torque given for the two clamp bolts but standard figure for 1/4" UNF is 5-7 lb ft.
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: wolfchen » Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:47 pm

thanks will break out 1/4 drive torque wrench
wolfchen
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:56 am

oldelanman wrote:Tighten the two bolts holding the clamp together before tightening the grub screw or the two halves of the clamp may not be seated properly and may move causing the bolts to loosen. If it's correctly fitted and, as already said, bearing on the flat section of the shaft and with the locknut in place, you should not need Loctite.

Correct torque for the grub screw according to the W/S Manual is 26-32 lb ft. No specified torque given for the two clamp bolts but standard figure for 1/4" UNF is 5-7 lb ft.

That's how I do it.

In the stresses of racing I find that the shaft can sometime slide forward and the steering wheel hub start to hit the shaft tube. I have had to reset it a couple of time on a race weekend but now if I assemble it right it does not move to much but still needs checking once a year to ensure I have adequate clearance.

On a road car unless you lean on the wheel heavily it should be good for much longer

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nmauduit » Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:20 pm

rgh0 wrote:In the stresses of racing I find that the shaft can sometime slide forward and the steering wheel hub start to hit the shaft tube.

yes, then if the horn is still connected via the steering whell button it goes on ... so before going on the track I disconnect my horn.
S4SE 36/8198
nmauduit
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:39 pm

nmauduit wrote:
rgh0 wrote:In the stresses of racing I find that the shaft can sometime slide forward and the steering wheel hub start to hit the shaft tube.

yes, then if the horn is still connected via the steering whell button it goes on ... so before going on the track I disconnect my horn.

Yes I have had that occur also and now I pull the horn relay off when on the track :D

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Foxie » Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:41 pm

nmauduit wrote:

This happened to me too.

The horn would come on on the corners, and go off again on the straights.

The driver in front thought I was doing it deliberately.

Very embarrassing.... :oops:
68 Elan +2, 70 Elan +2s
Foxie
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: