Elan vs +2 rear shock absorber query

PostPost by: h20hamelan » Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:08 pm

Is there any difference between the two. Seems a heavier oil, or smaller passages?
Born, and brought home from the hospital (no seat belt (wtf)) in a baby!
Find out where the limits are, and start from there
Love your Mother
Earth
h20hamelan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Mazzini » Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:24 pm

Apparently they were the same.
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: h20hamelan » Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:06 pm

Great, thought so. Figured I would double check, as there does not seem to be definitive answers out there.
The only rebuilders for my Koni Square D is out of country, I wonder if someone has a rebuild kit or knows where one could be sourced?

Have fun!
Love your Mother
Earth
h20hamelan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Mazzini » Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:23 pm

I know, it seems strange when you consider that the +2 is so much larger than an Elan.

I went through a phase of buying up all of the classic Koni's I could find, I would have Ian Gardiner rebuild them. I believe they offer the best damping for an Elan. The TTR Fast Road kit offers better handling and high speed stability, but in my opinion, the Koni's are as close to the original feel as you can get.
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: h20hamelan » Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:06 am

Would you be willing to let a pair of adjustable or not Konis go, for the front of my +2 please Mazzini?
Love your Mother
Earth
h20hamelan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Mazzini » Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:02 am

I don't think the fronts are the same on a +2, I'm sorry I only have Elan dampers.
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: andyelan » Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:00 pm

Hi there
According to the Lotus Service Parts List, the rear dampers for the Plus 2 have a "050" reference suggesting they're unique and not the same as those for the two seat Elan.
Today, TTR does list different dampers for the Plus 2 and the Elan, but Koni do not. I personally have had both Koni and Armstrong dampers on the rear of my Plus 2 and I've found them both a bit too soft. I've now got a set of TTRs but have yet to fit them.
My own thoughts on this are that the cars were new they might well have been designed around/set up with different dampers, but as the cars got older and demand for parts fell off, manufactures rationalise on a single design to save cost on the basis that "near enough is good enough".
andyelan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: seniorchristo » Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:24 pm

I enquired to TTR about fast road shocks for a plus 2 and was told they are definitely different.

Andy,
Are your TTR shocks fast road? What spring rates will you be using? I would be interested in your views once you have tried them. My Elan has fast road springs about 20% stiffer than stock and was thinking about a similar percentage increase in rates for the plus 2.
Thanks,
Chris :)
Last edited by seniorchristo on Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
67 Elan Super Safety
67 Elan +2
seniorchristo
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: h20hamelan » Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:50 pm

TTR Shocks are different
TTR Springs are different
Everyone that sells something, has something to sell. Doubt it means they cant work.

I do not believe you can use Elan Springs on a +2, or you can use them but they are lighter rate. So you would need to use more of a Aeon or Bump progressive.

I do believe the Shock rate can be altered, as the rear uprights are same same. I am happy to be corrected :!:

I have 1970’s Koni Special D rears for both Elan and +2 on my shelf, when it warms up in a few weeks I will measure shock dimensions.
Love your Mother
Earth
h20hamelan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: h20hamelan » Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:22 pm

As one set of mine came from a S4, and one on a +2
If the numbers are different, that will tell something
I will send a email to Koni, to see if the valving is different, like pointed out by andyelan. “As cars got older”
I wonder if it was a demand, or lack of desire to produce something different.

What thoughts are there that TTR or others have revalved or had special shock absorbers built to suite +2? I would guess this depends on if your using the 14 1/4 springs or the 11 7/8 or whatever the exact spring length is of the two offerings. This probably has a bunch to do with weight you intend to carry (fast road or touring), and all the variables...
So a thicker oil, or smaller passages. As elantrickbits points out, there are not really passage ways. Rather plates.

http://elantrikbits.com/lotus-elan-blog ... ebuilding/

???
Love your Mother
Earth
h20hamelan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nmauduit » Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:29 pm

andyelan wrote:Today, TTR does list different dampers for the Plus 2 and the Elan, but Koni do not. I personally have had both Koni and Armstrong dampers on the rear of my Plus 2 and I've found them both a bit too soft.

the (red 80/82 series, here 82R1371 for the rear - I assume black are the same, not sure about the yellow) Konis are adjustable, though one need to take them out of the car to do so : for a road specs 2 seater I suppose the default setting (lighter) would be fine, for a fast road or track inclined a click or two might be advisable, as well as for the heavier plus2 (the front I have are 80V1691, for 2 seaters - I suppose at least the threaded bottom is at a different angle)

http://www.koni.com/en-US/Cars/Technology/Adjustment-Guides/
S4SE 36/8198
nmauduit
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: h20hamelan » Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:04 pm

I also think the red are adjustable as ceejay on here, Dr Col Croucher aka ElanTrickBits points out. Twisting the top makes the adjustments on the reds.
Yellow externally adjustable!

I put some new TTR Red Koni Fast in my 68S4, and will collect some numbers (3 in total) when I am no longer numb from the cold Arctic outflow.
Love your Mother
Earth
h20hamelan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: andyelan » Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:07 pm

Hi Everyone

Just to clarify, I've only been talking about the rear dampers here.
The ones I've just bought from TTR are ref TTR-SS-888 which are valved for the Plus 2 and described as "comfortable and fast". I intend to use these with the standard Plus 2 springs.
The problem I'm describing when I say that the ride at the rear is "too soft" is that I mean the dampers aren't providing enough rebound damping. Single adjustable dampers, as described here, won't really help this as the adjustment only works for bump and all this will do, if turned up too high, will make for a really harsh ride (note that TTR does sell double adjustable front dampers but not rears). The only way to adjust rebound on dampers of this type is to dismantle (if possible) and then revalue valve them. This is what I expect TTR will have done as, apart from this, the Elan and Plus 2 items are identical.

Andy
andyelan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Mazzini » Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:44 pm

The classic Koni red dampers are adjustable to take up wear only.
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Craven » Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:13 pm

Shock absorbers, force required to shorten the length of an absorber is the compression ( Bound ) the force required to increase the length of an absorber is the rebound.
Single adjustable shock absorbers change the rebound only, the compression is fixed.
FWIW.
Craven
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Next

Total Online: