First time rebuilder - struggling with steering rack

PostPost by: Jem » Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:11 pm

I thought hit me - It's not something stupid like the suspension is in full droop as it's just been built and there's no weight from engine/body/wheels and I haven't set any geometry because of no weight?

With the car on it's wheels and weight on the suspension, the steering arms would raise from their current position and the distance between them would widen, wouldn't it? don't know if that would be enough, but if the rack and track rod ends are OK, there must be another reason...
Jem
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: nmauduit » Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:49 pm

Jem wrote:I thought hit me - It's not something stupid like the suspension is in full droop as it's just been built and there's no weight from engine/body/wheels and I haven't set any geometry because of no weight?

With the car on it's wheels and weight on the suspension, the steering arms would raise from their current position and the distance between them would widen, wouldn't it? don't know if that would be enough, but if the rack and track rod ends are OK, there must be another reason...

if the bump steer is adequately minimized there should not be any significant change in toe in/out when the suspension in compression or droop. Fwiw I had measured the distance tie rod to tie rod on my s4se (almost in straight line...) and it was 104.25cm
S4SE 36/8198
nmauduit
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: snowyelan » Fri Nov 06, 2020 11:43 pm

Bucklands book has 42.2" (107.2cm) tie rod center to center. This was close to my measured dimension.
Scott
45/9011
Hawkestone, On, Ca
snowyelan
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Cambselan » Sat Jul 15, 2023 9:18 pm

Hi Jem,
I see this subject is a few years old but did you get to the bottom of this issue.
I have taken on a rebuild of a 69 fhc and have the very same problem as describe.

Any wise words?
Cambselan
New-tral

PostPost by: Sadbrewer » Sat Jul 15, 2023 11:43 pm

Cambselan wrote:Hi Jem,
I see this subject is a few years old but did you get to the bottom of this issue.
I have taken on a rebuild of a 69 fhc and have the very same problem as describe.

Any wise words?

Not an answer to the question, but when you do the job don't forget the rack needs the right thickness shims when fitting.
Sadbrewer
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: MACCA.GLM » Wed Jul 26, 2023 12:02 pm

Hi
I had a similar problem on my rack. I traced the fault to my track rod ends not tapped deep enough as much as 3/8
luckily the track rod was drilled enough for me to tap it deeper
might be worth a check
regard
G
MACCA.GLM
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Sadbrewer » Wed Jul 26, 2023 9:20 pm

Jem wrote:
vstibbard wrote:I'll measure it today and post details tonight.

Cheers

Vaughan

thanks

Jem, sorry to mention if you've got it taped, but don't neglect the shims under the rack.
Sadbrewer
Second Gear
Second Gear

Previous

Total Online: