Has the Kelvedon got the safety bead
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ericbushby » Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:05 am

Hi Alan
The drawing in the `info/technical` section shows a bead.
Shame they are not offering the original width of 4 1/2 ".
I still prefer Sue Millers original style steel wheels.
Eric in Burnley
S3 DHC
ericbushby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ericbushby » Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:08 am

Oop`s sorry that is not Kelvedon, that`s Image.
Eric
ericbushby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elancoupe » Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:15 am

Has anyone tried, or even seen an actual set of these?
Mike
elancoupe
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ericbushby » Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:31 am

I have two original wheels and two of Sue Miller`s wheels
I believe that Sue is the only dealer who has had these wheels reproduced. In that case, as she is out of stock then Kelvedon will also be out of stock, or will be very soon. Kelvedon wheels cost £50 more also.
The centre has been made approximately 1mm thicker to cure the weak point, therefore increasing the weighta little .
I have not noticed any difference in the appearance or shape between them.
Please realise that Sue is a one woman outfit and to order say a hundred wheels as she did last time is a considerable outlay and commitment.
Sue told me that she had paid for the new tooling herself.
If you support her and show an interest, then she may order some more soon.
I am just a satisfied customer and Sue is my first choice supplier.
Eric in Burnley
1967 S3SE DHC
ericbushby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Roland » Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:58 pm

Yes I also started to look at the Image wheels option a couple of days ago.

Sue Miller was still indicating a possible £185 plus VAT price per wheel which is OK for me. The Kelvedon wheel is getting quite expensive for what it is, is it just some of Sue's stock purchased and being sold on?

I may start talking to Image just to see in more detail what they can provide and at what price. Anyone purchased Image wheels?
Roland
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Roland » Fri Oct 02, 2020 2:16 pm

I called Image and they will call me back for a technical chat. However I was told from the front desk that the Lotus Elan wheel is a quite a new product and they have a few (2 or 3) orders but no wheels produced as yet apart from some samples.
Roland
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: elancoupe » Fri Oct 02, 2020 3:00 pm

Roland wrote:I called Image and they will call me back for a technical chat. However I was told from the front desk that the Lotus Elan wheel is a quite a new product and they have a few (2 or 3) orders but no wheels produced as yet apart from some samples.

Do keep us updated.
Mike
elancoupe
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: LI-599 » Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:00 am

Firstly I have not heard of any original Elan steel wheels having any issues when driven normally, but have no knowledge of racing with them. Regards use of tubeless tyres, there are many articles and beliefs regarding tubeless on non safety rims, but IMHO I would prefer a slow leak on my tubeless tyres than a rapid puncture when using tubes. Everyone to their own. With regards to the powder coating of the wheels, I recommend masking off the area where the knock off makes contact as mine chipped off the thick coating due to the pressure applied to the surface.
Regards
Ian ( Australia)
LI-599
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:25 am

Imho i would not powder paint, it always flakes off and reveals rust underneath.
I know what someone will say now if it's done correctly there will be no problem.
But wheels flex and powder coating does not like that at all so will crack. Water enters and then it flakes off.
I can see why people use powder paint quick and easy.
I'm standing by for replies and just going down to my shelter :shock:
Alan
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Mazzini » Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:34 am

Alan,

You're probably right if the cars are used 24/7 for 365 days of the year, but for cars that do only a couple of thousand miles every summer?

I have a really good (and there are huge differences in quality between powder coaters) coater close to me, he did my S3 wheels about ten years ago, that car has done perhaps 1,000 to 1,500 miles a year and the wheels still look perfect....I grant you it's never seen winter salt though.

Have a good Sunday,

Rob
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:48 am

bonjour Rob,
same to you enjoy your Sunday. Maybe i've been unlucky with powder coatings.
I'm certainly not so keen on it.
Now where's that bottle of Cabinet Sauvignon for Lunch :wink: :wink:
Amicalement
Alan
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Roland » Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:07 am

I am up in North Scotland and generally don’t take any of my cars out in winter. The salt levels in the water left on the road are horrendous. The very few occasions I have exposed powder coated components to winter conditions like this it has not been great, once the corrosion gets under the powder coat it seems to rust quickly and flake off in sheets.

I am now talking to a local powder coater for my wheels. They also do a lot of work for the offshore oil industry and they are indicating that they have had good results from using one of the offshore developed paints on steel wheels. I know some of the offshore glass flake coatings are very durable but worried they may not give a great finish and can be very thick.

Agreed that there is a significant variation in powder coating quality and durability. I will shortly be cleaning up my rear wishbones and will probably not use powder coating.

Roland
Roland
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Roland » Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:42 pm

Image came back to me on their wheels as follows:

- They can manufacture 4.5 x 13 wheel despite it not being listed on their site
- They have original offset data but they can build wheels to specific offsets dimensions if required
- 4.5 x 13 wheel is 5.2 kg, 5 x 13 is 5.3 kg, 5.5 x 13 is 5.4 kg
- They don't have a picture of a black centre wheel
- Wheels are already 8-10 weeks delivery
- The can take tubeless tyres

These wheels may clearly be an option but I would really like to see how they look before committing, judging by the website they will come in at around 300 per wheel inc. vat. The weights look fine to me, I think an original steel wheel is 5.9 kg (13 lb) and a remanufactured steel wheel is heavier. Keeping unsprung weight down is not a main driver for me but I don't really want to add unsprung weight.

Would be interested to hear from anyone who has ordered and received these wheels.
Roland
Second Gear
Second Gear

PreviousNext

Total Online: