Will Michelin XAS 155 R13 fit an unmodified S3 SE?

PostPost by: Stevie-Heathie » Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:29 am

Pleased to report no Tokyo Drift through the Surrey Hills Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty :lol:

What I mean is when “pressing on”, for example when accelerating out of a quiet roundabout, it’s possible to sense the back end as it begins to move out, and then it’s very easy to bring her back into line. I think it’s down to the nice rounded shoulders on the XAS.

Best Steve
1967 S3 SE DHC
1970 +2S (RIP - went out in a blaze of glory in 2001)
Stevie-Heathie
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: simonriley11 » Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:20 am

Steve- glad you're enjoying the drive.

Like you I have found that these tyres are really well suited to the car. I've done about 1000 miles (nicely scrubbed in now) with mine and have found that as you approach the limit you get really good feedback from the rear and I've also found that it's hard to generate any understeer. This is the complete opposite to the Vredesteins which had lots of understeer and were twitchy at the rear.

In fairness I haven't yet driven the car in the wet.

Keeeep driving!
simonriley11
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: TBG » Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:13 am

Glad to hear it Steve!!

I had visions of you doing a Fast and Furious around the lanes! As a comparison I just cannot get mine to anything exciting in the dry and I have pots of power, however in the wet it is possible to provoke undue excitement. :D

PS - I use 20psi front and 25psi rear. This gives me great stability when loaded up with Mission Controls vast luggage on the Alpine Passes. Good for everyday as well.
TBG
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Quart Meg Miles » Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:59 pm

Has anyone got a similar report for the SP Sport which I enjoyed 50 years ago? After several sets I changed to Goodyear GPS when my S130 drove so well on them and in the 1990s SPs (SP10?) didn't inspire me at all.

Now Sports are available again.
Meg

26/4088 1965 S1½ Old and scruffy but in perfect working order; the car too.
________________Put your money where your mouse is, click on "Support LotusElan.net" below.
Quart Meg Miles
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: simonriley11 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:16 am

In period I used to run the HR rated 155/13 SP Sports on my Sprint DHC and they were great - in fact (from memory, it was a long time ago!) they gave the same driving feel as the new Michelin XAS I've just fitted to my S3 DHC. Once the SP Sports became unavailable I tried all sorts of tyres in the intervening period and none of them matched up.
I can't comment on the new SP Sports as I haven't tried them but I can confirm that the new Michelins are really good.
simonriley11
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: TBG » Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:07 am

Michelin XAS at £220 EACH !! Must be crazy ! My Nokians that are simply brilliant are in the £40 range. :shock: :shock:

Nokian tires deliver solid traction in all weather situations, provide comfortable and pretty quiet rides, as well as super-stable handling and quick responsiveness to braking. To top it all off, they're also highly durable with great tread life.

Made in Finland, parent company Bridgestone.
TBG
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: jbeach » Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:38 pm

Simon and Steve,

I am extremely interested in your Vredestein/XAS comparison. I am running a set of some of the last produced Vredestein Sprint+ Classics (155HR 13) on my S4. My Elan is set up for fast road (TTR Spax/Koni front/rear w/adjustable spring perches).

To be honest, I have been a little disappointed in the handling at the limit. Steering is ultra sensitive (I know that is an Elan character trait). Gobs of grip, but breakaway is very hard to anticipate and manage, and characterized by understeer.

What you describe with the Michelin XAS is exactly what I was hoping for with my Elan. Can you please expound upon your experience a bit? I am seriously thinking about selling the Vredesteins and purchasing a set of XAS.

Many thanks!

-John
John Beach
'69 Elan S4 DHC - A Work in Progress
jbeach
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: TBG » Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:48 pm

John, buy Nokian and go out for several expensive dinners on the change!! :D :D
TBG
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: 69S4 » Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:27 pm

Or you could go for the XAS look at a somewhat more modest price:

https://www.mytyres.co.uk/cgi-bin/rshop ... p=R-361169

Anyone tried them?
Stuart Holding
Thame UK / Alpe D'Huez France
69 S4 FHC
Honda GoldWing 1800
Honda CBX1000
Kawasaki H1 500
Yamaha XS2
69S4
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alanr » Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:40 am

Not an S3( but they do your size also)
I am looking at Blockley for my +2. The right size tyre at a realistic price.
https://www.blockleytyre.com/product/165hr13

I would be interested to hear a review from anyone who has fitted them to a +2?

Alan
Alan
'71 +2 S130/ 5speed Type9.
alanr
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: TBG » Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:31 am

69S4 - not sure I would use them as not sure who the manufacturer is and in my view an established worldwide producer is probably the safest bet. Nokian that I use are the top selling tyres in Nordic countrys and are produced in Finland,Russia and North America (Dayton). Company started in 1898 and that's good enough for me!! :D

PS - Blockley has a good reputation though.
TBG
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: simonriley11 » Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:59 am

John
I'm happy to pass on my experience.
I fitted my S3 DHC with a full set of 155HR13 Vredesteins about (I can't remember exactly when) 7 years ago - they were difficult to source in the UK then (I believe they're no longer available over here now).
They were certainly an improvement over the Uniroyals they replaced giving more grip with more predictable handling but not as I remember in the dim and distant past (in the late 1970's) when I used to run Dunlop SP Sport 155HR13 which were then still available. Of course I may have been looking through rose tinted spectacles!
My problem with them was that the rear breakaway was unpredictable and I felt there was too much understeer at the front.
About three years ago I decided to refresh the tired suspension so fitted adjustable TTR fast road front spring/shock absorbers and TTR adjustable Koni rear inserts but running standard rear springs. The ride height front and rear is as per Brian Bucklands book and the tracking front and rear is as per the factory spec.
Although the ride felt much better controlled not surprisingly the overall handling characteristics hadn't changed.
My brother-in-law had already fitted the Michelins to his S4/SE DHC and was very pleased with them so having had several conversations with Longstone Tyres I took the (expensive!) plunge.
The improvement was immediately noticeable even when the tyres were brand new and having scrubbed them in and played around with the pressures and the shock absorber settings they are now even better.
The car now confidently (but not too sharply) turns in to the apex with no discernible understeer with the rear following faithfully, and if you apply the power early the rear will start to move but in a very controllable manner.
Having been driving Elans since the 1970's this is the first time in a long time that the car drives as I believe an Elan should.
It will be very interesting to get Steve's impressions after he's had a chance to use his car some more.
simonriley11
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: 69S4 » Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:21 am

TBG wrote:69S4 - not sure I would use them as not sure who the manufacturer is and in my view an established worldwide producer is probably the safest bet. Nokian that I use are the top selling tyres in Nordic countrys and are produced in Finland,Russia and North America (Dayton). Company started in 1898 and that's good enough for me!! :D

PS - Blockley has a good reputation though.

Yes I agree. I doubt function follows form with them and unless anyone has direct (and positive) experience of using them they won’t be on my short list for next year’s tyre change. I just find it interesting though that some company somewhere has gone to the trouble of duplicating such a distinctive tread pattern. How much of the original XAS’s characteristic response is down to the pattern and how much to the rubber mix / construction etc is beyond me but it does make it stand out from the crowd.
Stuart Holding
Thame UK / Alpe D'Huez France
69 S4 FHC
Honda GoldWing 1800
Honda CBX1000
Kawasaki H1 500
Yamaha XS2
69S4
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: TBG » Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:16 am

I would guess "rubber mix / construction etc" is the key. Tread pattern also but I suspect to a far lesser extent than the originals. I personally am not into looks - see my paintwork - untouched for at least 35 years - but rather function. :D
TBG
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: alanr » Sat Sep 12, 2020 2:30 pm

My thoughts are that I am sure the Michelin XAS is the best tyre out there that is suitable both sizewise and for performance for an Elan or +2, however having said that I also understand that the useful life of a tyre due to deterioration of the rubber should be considered as 5years and is definitely not considered safe for use after 7-8years.
So to pay £220 per tyre for Michelin XAS, and then throw it away after 5years only part worn for the small amount of miles ( approx 2000miles p.a.maximum) for me I think would I think be just throwing money away and be a silly thing to do!
So it will have to be a cheaper alternative for me and the Blockley is the only tyre I can find that comes in a suitable size that won't affect gear ratio's/speedo reading or rub on wheel arches etc.

Alan.
Alan
'71 +2 S130/ 5speed Type9.
alanr
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PreviousNext

Total Online: