Twist and pull handbrake, help needed!

PostPost by: jkatthehelm » Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:31 pm

Hi al
Can anyone shed any light on how the twist and pull handbrake locks? Mine pulls up whether the lever is twisted or not; is it kernackulated? I cannot find any diagrams of it - only the earlier umbrella.
Does anyone have an umbrella style one going spare?
Tx
James
66 Elan fhc, 72 Elan Plus 2S 130/5, 98 Elise 2.0l Duratec
Second Gear

PostPost by: velo5338 » Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:08 pm

I have a spare twist-and-pull handbrake on a shelf in my workshop. I'll take a look to ascertain how it should work.

My memory is that it should only release when twisted but pulls up wherever the handler is oriented but needs the handle to be 'horizontal' to latch.

I'll get back to you.

Mike
velo5338
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: richardcox_lotus » Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:50 pm

When pulled, there are notches in the shaft, these are on half the diameter of the shaft, on the top as you look at it. The sleeve that the shaft travels in has 2 hanging tags which have tiny springs to allow them to settle down into the notches in the shaft.

To release the handbrake, give it a small pull and then twist 90 degrees anti clockwise. That allows the tags to slide out of the notches. Guide the handbrake back down the sleeve whilst still 90 degrees turned, otherwise the tags will settle back into the notches further down the shaft, until it reaches its end stop.

That’s the best way I can describe the action.

Failure may be due to:

1. Lost springs, but this will typically mean the tags won’t stay out of the notches when the handbrake is released.
2. Wear on the notches so they cover more than half the diameter of the shaft so that the tags cannot leave the notches, even when turned. This happened to me and had to be a welding repair to fill the excess wear.
3. Lost tags, which mean the handbrake can be pulled, but will never be able to be locked into position.

Regards
Richard
Richard
'72 Sprint
richardcox_lotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: velo5338 » Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:30 pm

These 3 pictures should help with understanding the action described by Richard.

Mike
Attachments
IMG_1251.jpg and
IMG_1250.jpg and
IMG_1248.jpg and
velo5338
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: jkatthehelm » Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:29 pm

Thanks guys - will pull it out and see what I find!!
J
Second Gear

PostPost by: jkatthehelm » Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:56 am

Looks like it might be a spring problem; Mike, could you measure the diameter of the spring wire for me?
Tx
James
Second Gear

PostPost by: slowsprinter » Thu Dec 16, 2021 7:01 pm

Velo
Would it be possible for a photos of where the handbrake switch locates into the handbrake mechanism? I am currently having a drama with the switch!

Richard, thank you for the description of how the handbrake works. I think mine does actually work now following reading your post, I just had to get the technique right. I now need to get the switch fitted for which I may need to hire a contortionist.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/slowsprinter/
Lagoon Blue over White 1972 Sprint DHC
slowsprinter
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: