Lotus Elan

Loose outer lower a-arm bolt

PostPost by: steve lyle » Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:09 am

While doing a rebuild on the front brakes (see "What did you do to your Lotus today"), I noticed that the outer bolt on the lower a-arms was loose. With the front end up, wheel off, if I put a load on the hub, the hub would drop a bit before the a-arm did - maybe an 1/8 - 3/16 inch or so.

I just tightened up the outer bolt a bit - was that the right fix, or do I have a bigger problem?

Thanks,
Steve
Steve Lyle
1972 Elan Sprint 0248k @ https://www.mgexp.com/registry/1972-Lot ... 48K.30245/
1972 MGB Roadster @ https://www.mgexp.com/registry/1972-MG- ... 842G.4498/
2007 BMW 335i Coupe
User avatar
steve lyle
Second Gear
Second Gear
 
Posts: 197
Joined: 15 Jun 2015
Location: Tulsa, OK USA

PostPost by: rgh0 » Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:47 am

steve lyle wrote:While doing a rebuild on the front brakes (see "What did you do to your Lotus today"), I noticed that the outer bolt on the lower a-arms was loose. With the front end up, wheel off, if I put a load on the hub, the hub would drop a bit before the a-arm did - maybe an 1/8 - 3/16 inch or so.

I just tightened up the outer bolt a bit - was that the right fix, or do I have a bigger problem?

Thanks,
Steve


Sounds like you have worn bushes in the trunnion or oval holes where the trunnion bolt goes through the arms. Both a common.

cheers
Rohan
User avatar
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 7647
Joined: 22 Sep 2003
Location: Melbourne, Australia

PostPost by: steve lyle » Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:49 pm

rgh0 wrote:Sounds like you have worn bushes in the trunnion or oval holes where the trunnion bolt goes through the arms. Both a common.

cheers
Rohan


If the latter, arms need replacing? I.e., tightening up the bolt was just a temporary fix?

Thanks,
Steve
Steve Lyle
1972 Elan Sprint 0248k @ https://www.mgexp.com/registry/1972-Lot ... 48K.30245/
1972 MGB Roadster @ https://www.mgexp.com/registry/1972-MG- ... 842G.4498/
2007 BMW 335i Coupe
User avatar
steve lyle
Second Gear
Second Gear
 
Posts: 197
Joined: 15 Jun 2015
Location: Tulsa, OK USA

PostPost by: pharriso » Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:30 pm

steve lyle wrote:
rgh0 wrote:Sounds like you have worn bushes in the trunnion or oval holes where the trunnion bolt goes through the arms. Both a common.

cheers
Rohan


If the latter, arms need replacing? I.e., tightening up the bolt was just a temporary fix?

Thanks,
Steve


Or weld a washer in place....
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
User avatar
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 2977
Joined: 15 Sep 2010
Location: Long Island NY, USA

PostPost by: 69S4 » Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:20 pm

Like the rest of us do :roll:
Stuart Holding
Thame UK / Alpe D'Huez France
69 S4 FHC
Honda GoldWing 1800
Honda CBX1000
Kawasaki H1 500
Yamaha XS2
69S4
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 1240
Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Location: nr Oxford UK

PostPost by: SENC » Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:29 pm

69S4 wrote:Like the rest of us do :roll:

+1
Henry
69 Elan S4
65 Seven S2
SENC
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear
 
Posts: 702
Joined: 30 Dec 2015
Location: NC

Total Online:

Users browsing this forum: The Veg and 11 guests