Michelin XAS Tires 155-13

PostPost by: StressCraxx » Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:14 pm

Here in the US, Coker Tires sells the XAS tube type tires. These are not the soft compound FF version.

I recalled they were pretty good back in the day.
Has anyone had any actual on the road experience with these reissued tires? I've also posted this question on the Elan FB page as well.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Dan
There is no cure for Lotus, only treatment.
StressCraxx
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:34 pm

What's the price like
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: StressCraxx » Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:00 pm

List is $193 plus $21 for the tubes.

Coker and Hagerty have a 20% off sale that ends today.
StressCraxx
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: derek uk » Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:03 pm

Coker have bought the models (edit - should say moulds) for quite a few "Classic" tyres. I've not heard much in the way of good things about their rubber technology. In this case I don't think that Michelin would give them the thumb's up and say it meets their standards. In fact they probably have a disclaimer on them. Looks and 1k miles a year might have to be your reason for buying them.
Last edited by derek uk on Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
derek uk
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: JohnCh » Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:06 pm

Coker sells the Michelin produced XAS, not their own variation. Also, the 155/80-13 size is only available in the FF compound, so that is what they carry. I have a set from Coker with FF stamped on the sidewall and am very happy with them. Strangely there is no treadwear rating listed and Michelin has steadfastly refused to answer that question when queried, but it certainly feels soft. It wouldn't surprise me if this was an R or near R compound. BTW I had XAS tires back in the day, These are most definitely not the same.
-John
JohnCh
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: StressCraxx » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:19 pm

JohnCh wrote:Coker sells the Michelin produced XAS, not their own variation. Also, the 155/80-13 size is only available in the FF compound, so that is what they carry. I have a set from Coker with FF stamped on the sidewall and am very happy with them. Strangely there is no treadwear rating listed and Michelin has steadfastly refused to answer that question when queried, but it certainly feels soft. It wouldn't surprise me if this was an R or near R compound. BTW I had XAS tires back in the day, These are most definitely not the same.
-John

Thanks John,
StressCraxx
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 3lotus » Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:27 am

I bought a set for my S4 coupe in February and I love them. They feel and look great.

There is something interesting that I've noticed about these tires is that when I return from a drive they are warm, visibly warm if the road was wet. So I feel them whenever I return and they do feel warm, not hot. I should put a thermometer on them sometime. I have just never noticed this on any other car. I don't think I drive that fast !
3lotus
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: gherlt » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:08 am

JohnCh wrote:BTW I had XAS tires back in the day, These are most definitely not the same.
-John

So, on your judgement, are they better or worse ?
1964 S1 (at paint shop)
1967 S3 DHC
1969 S4 FHC (at BB's home)

https://theelanman.com for details on Brian Bucklands book.
https://shop.lotus-books.com for more Lotus related books.
We ship worldwide. PM/Email me.
gherlt
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: JohnCh » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:20 pm

gherlt wrote:So, on your judgement, are they better or worse ?

Sorry, thought that was clear based on the rubber compound comment. The new XAS is significantly better than my recollection of the original, which in turn is based on my recollection of a progression of tires since the XAS, many on the same car. So no, not a conclusive result based on back-to-back testing, but rather informed directional feedback. Given I have only driven the FF version of the new tire, I can't confirm I would be as excited over the non FF. However, since the 155/80-13 is only available in FF, it's not relevant here.

-John
JohnCh
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: mwhitaker » Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:56 am

I have to agree with JohnCh and other comments re the XAS 155-13 tires FF compound. I put them on my 69 Elan S4DHC last year after getting them from Coker- I had to get the tubes from Dougal Cawley at Longstone Tyres in the UK at the time as there were no tubes in the US! I have been very happy with them- great ride, nice turn in/feel, no thrumming and they look great with new Sue Miller repro rims in proper silver with new knockoff spinners. Since my mileage will be limited to 500-800 miles per year, longevity is less of a concern even at 5-8k miles. I would caution that even though they are listed as an 80 series tire, they are closer to 82-85 series so make sure you have adequate clearance to prevent crunchy fiberglass in the fender wells!

Cheers, Mark Whitaker
69Elan S4DHC
45/8396
mwhitaker
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: StressCraxx » Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:40 am

Thanks so much for your comments everyone, I ordered a set for my Elan that is currently under resto.
Coker has a deal going right now for free shipping (a significant sum I found) and a visa card rebate for up to $120 on Michelin tires.

I'm looking forward to trying these on my S3 with the nice K/O wheels I just picked up from sabbot. Some sandblasting and painting are in my immediate future. I have a set of Panasports with Bridgestone RE92s but they are beyond useful/safe life.

I almost bought a set of 145/80-13 Pirelli Cinturatos, but found they are the same measured diameter as the Michelins. I think the Michelins will be better. Will let the group know how things go when I have the car together again.

Regards,
Dan Wise
StressCraxx
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 0005K » Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:27 pm

As of 4/2/2021 Michelin XAS are backordered (about 4 months out) through Coker in the USA. You may want to get in line now!
Dick 0005K
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: dougal cawley » Mon May 10, 2021 9:18 am

Hi

We have the XAS on the shelf

https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/michel ... s/xas.html

We stock the 155HR13 XAS in the FF compound.

However there is also some better news.

The older Elan fitted 145R13 and handles better on the thinner tyre. Michelin now also make the 145R13 XAS FF which is a great tyre.

However even better news is that the 145HR13 Pirelli Cinturato CA67 is now on the shelf again. That is the perfect tyre for an early Elite

https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/tyres/145-13.html

The price is very good too.
dougal cawley
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: