loose part inside steering rack boot

PostPost by: wolfchen » Sat May 30, 2020 9:45 pm

I was chasing down some play in the steering, found that adjuster on rack wasn't tight and securing it helped, however in checking over rack the passenger side boot has something loose inside it moving on the tie rod extension, ? looking at parts book doesn't seem to indicate a spacer or ? any ideas ? to remove rack isn't so simple is it
wolfchen
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: fatboyoz » Sun May 31, 2020 1:33 am

Hi Wolfchen,
The lock limiting spacer on the passenger end of the rack is free floating. This spacer is fitted on the rack itself, before the tie rod joint. Shouldn’t be anything loose outboard of this joint. I am referring to the Elan, not sure about the +2.
The parts book mentions the stops, but does not show them.
Cheers,
Colin.

wolfchen wrote:I was chasing down some play in the steering, found that adjuster on rack wasn't tight and securing it helped, however in checking over rack the passenger side boot has something loose inside it moving on the tie rod extension, ? looking at parts book doesn't seem to indicate a spacer or ? any ideas ? to remove rack isn't so simple is it
'68 S4 DHC
fatboyoz
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: h20hamelan » Sun May 31, 2020 1:36 am

Born, and brought home from the hospital (no seat belt (wtf)) in a baby!
Find out where the limits are, and start from there
Love your Mother
Earth
h20hamelan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: h20hamelan » Sun May 31, 2020 5:22 am

Also, as steering, or steering wheel position is 90% straight ahead. These indexes or gears get the most use. So no matter what, they will wear. And tightening of the mesh load only causes problems, long term.
Born, and brought home from the hospital (no seat belt (wtf)) in a baby!
Find out where the limits are, and start from there
Love your Mother
Earth
h20hamelan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: