Front brake rotor is just single nut?

PostPost by: billwill » Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:57 pm

No need to get the hump. You started on the wrong foot, Your messages came over as if you were a complete newbie to ANY car renovation, who was going to keep asking really basic questions forever.

That's not what this forum is for, had you first described your experience, you would probably have got more sensible answers straight away.

This forum doesn't need stirring up, it's been ticking along quite happily ever since the early days of the Internet when websites barely existed and all the advice was asked and issued by email groups.
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Davidb » Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:34 pm

If you decide to replace the brake rotors-and they look pretty bad-I can recommend these:

http://www.sportscarpartsltd.com/Brake- ... p_597.html

I fitted them two years ago and am very happy with them.

Edit: I just found their ebay listing again:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pair-New-Drill ... GTR=1#shId
'65 S2 4844
Davidb
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:02 am

I’d be be happy to help you.

Those bolt ends are easy to miss when your head is under the wheel arch, I’ll wager. Don’t be deterred by some thoughtless off comments. The car is worth sticking with.

And for the record, I disagree with billwill on this point. Not knowing something - being a noob - is not a crime. The forum exists to help owners get the most from owning their cars, and collectively to preserve as many as possible. New members should be welcomed even if they are asking what to an experienced person is obvious. If we do not do this, our community will suffer. Fresh blood = fresh perspective. Worth bearing in mind.

So welcome tdskip, and do keep posting.
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:11 pm

JonB wrote:And for the record, I disagree with billwill on this point. Not knowing something - being a noob - is not a crime.

I never said it was, but here we had a new user who apparently has an aversion to following the main obvious advice which is to get and read the Service Manual and who without apparently bothering to check the state of the forum, apparently thinks that he knows best.

Both you and englishmanwales are relatively new members and if you go back and re-read your initial postings you will see that you did not start with the same attitude as tdskip and you did receive warm welcomes.
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:06 pm

Yes it’s true I had a warm welcome (thanks all! :D ) but I was censured slightly for asking too many questions at once. This I put down to enthusiasm for the car; something I would never apologise for.

The pity here is tdskip appears to be withdrawing as a result of the responses he got to his question. So I think we need to try to help and encourage these guys whenever possible, even if we disagree on their approach (to doing the work, asking questions, whatever), because the person we are helping will over time get used to the tone of the forum. Or something like that.

I hope you can see where I am coming from...
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: englishmaninwales » Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:11 pm

billwill,

Nope, my feeling is far greater.
Two of your recent postings with regard to this member, in my view, are both arrogant and patronising to the member that is close to ‘...any statement or opinion that does not show respect to fellow board’

That, of course, would be for Jeff to decide, if reported.
Malcolm
1966 Elan S3 Coupe
1994 Caterham 7
englishmaninwales
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: tdskip » Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:29 pm

I'd like to thank everyone for their supportive private messages and those who made an extra effort to be helpful on this and my other new owner posts. It is encouraging that most people here I have interacted with understand that asking questions doesn't mean there isn't other research, documentation, or professionals being utilized to make sure the Elan is preserved and returned to good working order so it can be seen and enjoyed.

I am truly appreciative of the coaching that so many of you have offered me.
SoCal
1969 Elan DHC
tdskip
Third Gear
Third Gear

Previous

Total Online: