Old tyres when to change

PostPost by: Hawksfield » Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:28 am

Hi All

My present tyres were manufactured 2011 and are half worn 5-6mm Hankook optimo, they perform ok but feel heavy at low speed and manoeuvring.

I do not do a large annual mileage 3000 over the last three years so it will be a long time till they are worn out

What's the members thoughts on changing them and how old would be their limit be

Thanks in anticipation
John

+2s130 1971
Hawksfield
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: JohnCh » Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:43 pm

Most tire manufacturers state that 10 years is the safety limit and suggest annual inspections starting in year 6 due to rubber hardening and degradation from environmental exposure. Speaking from personal experience, replacing performance tires after 5 years with the same model results in a noticeable improvement. The fresher rubber is stickier and more compliant. For this reason alone, I'd consider replacing your tires given their age.

Many years ago, the rear tire in my first car suffered a major sidewall blowout while going around a corner. The tire still had acceptable tread, but was about 9 years old and had spent much of it's life outside in the California sun. A post mortem revealed many age related cracks in the sidewall of both rear tires, whereas the much newer front tires were fine (it was FWD car).

-John
JohnCh
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: 69S4 » Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:33 pm

Don't think sun damage is going to be a big issue in Hartlepool :lol:
Do tyres rot in the rain?
Stuart Holding
Thame UK / Alpe D'Huez France
69 S4 FHC
Honda GoldWing 1800
Honda CBX1000
Kawasaki H1 500
Yamaha XS2
69S4
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Esprit2 » Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:42 pm

69S4 wrote:Don't think sun damage is going to be a big issue in Hartlepool :lol:
Do tyres rot in the rain?
All rubber ages poorly. Even if your tires aren't exposed to the UV in sunlight, or to ozone, the rubber will 'rot' with age... plain and simple. 10 years might be iffy-okay for a grocery getter, but 5 years is more appropriate for any sports car that might be driven in a manner that relies on good, safe contact with the road.

Remember what you're driving, and treat the tires accordingly.

Regards,
Tim Engel
Esprit2
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: