Look as it should? Disconnecting the parking brake?

PostPost by: tdskip » Thu Dec 26, 2019 6:46 pm

Front calipers came off easily, rears were a bit more reluctant but both Salt Lake came out clean.

Any tips on disconnecting the parking brake?

Anything look a amiss back here?

Thanks!

fabeb23d-e338-4465-a80a-29fbd4ad6605.jpeg and

171af50c-ce21-45ac-962e-c98463b2a4d6.jpeg and
SoCal
1969 Elan DHC
tdskip
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Elan45 » Sat Dec 28, 2019 4:50 am

On my Elans, the clevis end of the rod from the swivel was held to the lever arm of the caliper with a 10-32 screw and nut. Then push the screw out of the clevis and the parking brake is released.

I noticed that your rear struts look like +2 struts with the extra mount for the the transition from steel tube to hose. I thought your Elan was a S2?

You will want an internal pipe wrench to remove the almost certainly very stuck pistons. I can't remember whether the size is 3/4 or 1 inch. I bought a set of 4 sizes off ebay.

Roger
'67 Elan S3 SS DHC
'67 Elan FHC pre-airflow
'67 Elan S3 SE upgrade to 26R by Original owner
'58 Eleven S2 (ex-works)
'62 20/22 FJ (ex-Yamura)
'70 Elan +2S RHD
'61 20 FJ project
'76 Modus M1 F3
Elan45
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Quart Meg Miles » Sat Dec 28, 2019 7:29 pm

As Roger says, it is just a small bolt to remove; but after such a long time you may have to saw the head or nut off and tap it out.

If you dismantle the tree at the other end of the pull rods I recommend reaming them to a bigger round size if they are at all oval then smother them with grease. It cured my handbrake problems and I haven't had any trouble for thirty years.
Meg

26/4088 1965 S1½ Old and scruffy but in perfect working order; the car too.
________________Put your money where your mouse is, click on "Support LotusElan.net" below.
Quart Meg Miles
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: tdskip » Sun Dec 29, 2019 3:54 pm

Elan45 wrote:On my Elans, the clevis end of the rod from the swivel was held to the lever arm of the caliper with a 10-32 screw and nut. Then push the screw out of the clevis and the parking brake is released.

I noticed that your rear struts look like +2 struts with the extra mount for the the transition from steel tube to hose. I thought your Elan was a S2?

You will want an internal pipe wrench to remove the almost certainly very stuck pistons. I can't remember whether the size is 3/4 or 1 inch. I bought a set of 4 sizes off ebay.

Roger

Good morning Roger, thanks for the response. My Elan is a ?69 DHC so if those are +2 struts the car has been fiddled with.

Any issues or advantages in running the +2 struts (if that is what they turn out to be, need to get researching).

Thanks for the eyes on it!
SoCal
1969 Elan DHC
tdskip
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: tdskip » Sun Dec 29, 2019 3:55 pm

Quart Meg Miles wrote:As Roger says, it is just a small bolt to remove; but after such a long time you may have to saw the head or nut off and tap it out.

If you dismantle the tree at the other end of the pull rods I recommend reaming them to a bigger round size if they are at all oval then smother them with grease. It cured my handbrake problems and I haven't had any trouble for thirty years.

Thanks!
SoCal
1969 Elan DHC
tdskip
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: oldelanman » Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:27 pm

Take care not to lose the little reducer bush when you remove the pull rod clevis from the caliper lever .. essential if the handbrake is to work properly.

My S4 also has the brake hose mounting bracket on the strut although it's not used .. Flexi hose runs from chassis bracket direct to caliper .. so I don't think it necessarily means you have +2 struts.
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Quart Meg Miles » Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:43 pm

oldelanman wrote:Take care not to lose the little reducer bush when you remove the pull rod clevis from the caliper lever .. essential if the handbrake is to work properly.

Apologies for my omission as I hadn't realised they were standard and had had a pair of bushes made specially for me in 1973 thinking that the lever had worn badly! They must have been lost years before; but the hand brake still didn't work until I reamed and repinned the inner clevises many years later!
Meg

26/4088 1965 S1½ Old and scruffy but in perfect working order; the car too.
________________Put your money where your mouse is, click on "Support LotusElan.net" below.
Quart Meg Miles
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: tdskip » Sun Dec 29, 2019 6:52 pm

Thanks for the follow up and clarification.

Going to try and get the rear calipers off this week.

Still need to decide on rebuild / replace on the calipers themselves .
SoCal
1969 Elan DHC
tdskip
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: SENC » Sun Dec 29, 2019 7:47 pm

oldelanman wrote:My S4 also has the brake hose mounting bracket on the strut although it's not used .. Flexi hose runs from chassis bracket direct to caliper .. so I don't think it necessarily means you have +2 struts.

Agree - my S4 has the brackets on the struts, too.
Henry
69 Elan S4
65 Seven S2
SENC
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elancoupe » Sun Dec 29, 2019 8:09 pm

tdskip wrote:Thanks for the follow up and clarification.

Going to try and get the rear calipers off this week.

Still need to decide on rebuild / replace on the calipers themselves .

It?s almost impossible to find rear calipers , best to blast or dip the existing units. Add stainless pistons and new seals and you will be fine for years.
Mike
elancoupe
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: tdskip » Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:45 pm

Thanks for the all of the responses.
SoCal
1969 Elan DHC
tdskip
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: