+2S brakes

PostPost by: GLB » Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:48 am

I would like some advice about what to do with the brakes on my 71 federal +2S. Since I got the car 14 years ago I have not had servos. It has the stock 7/8 diameter dual master cylinder and it does require a good push to stop. I don't think I could lock the brakes. My son just sorted the brakes on his series 1 E type, new servo and master cylinder, rebuilt calipers and I must say it really stops nicely. I have read period reports of the +2 as having some of the best brakes the magazines had ever tested and I would like to improve mine, especially after driving my sons Jag. I think I have several options. 1. rebuild the stock Girling servos. I have one that is readily rebuildable, and one that would probably need a new piston shaft and sleeving. expensive but doable. 2. replace with Lockheed servos. Much less expensive and new parts. I am not sure if I have room for the 8 inch, 3-1 vacuum cylinders in the stock location, not much extra room in the nose with electric headlight lifts, air horn trumpets and stock air cleaner. Smaller 5 inch vacuum cans with 2.3-1 boost looks like it would easily fit and be a big improvement. 3. I have a dual circuit, sleeved Cortina (I think) cylinder that would be a direct bolt in, with a step bore of .710 at the rear of the cylinder and .750 diameter at the front of the cylinder. I don't know if the different bore diameter would make a detectable difference or not. In this option I leave off any boosters and go to a softer pad, like green stuff.
I would like any advice and the collective wisdom of the groups experience to try and improve my situation. Thanks in advance for the advice. Gary
GLB
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Chrispy » Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:08 am

My servo didn't work when I got my car either. I rebuilt it and it sort of works, feels like the main air piston is sticking a bit still.

Dad has a Mk2 Jag and rebuilt all his calipers and installed a new lockheed servo. The brakes on that are now just beautiful and make my sticky ones feel a bit crappy. I'm getting really close to putting the Girling on the shelf and putting a lockheed in.
Chris
Elan +2 #0245
Exige S2 Supercharged
Chrispy
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Craven » Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:38 am

Brake pads, make sure you have non-servo pads.
Craven
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Donels » Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:53 pm

The simple thing to try would be to fit your cortina master cylinder. Your .875 master cylinder has an area of 0.6 sq in, whereas the .75 has 0.44 sq in and the .71 has 0.4 sq in. So for a given pedal pressure the braking force will increase by 36% and 50% respectively, but at the expense of increased pedal travel.

I think the .71 cylinder should be connected to the front callipers to ensure the front brakes lock first.

Try it with some green stuff pads it should make a big difference, providing you can live with the increased pedal travel.
Elan +2
Elise mk 1
Donels
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: h20hamelan » Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:56 am

Craven wrote:Brake pads, make sure you have non-servo pads.

with good surfaces
have you looked at brake residual valves, very inexpensive
Born, and brought home from the hospital (no seat belt (wtf)) in a baby!
Find out where the limits are, and start from there
Love your Mother
Earth
h20hamelan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:31 am

If you want a small diameter dual master that isn't stepped there is one from a spitfire. I have one* on the shelf in my garage if you find your self in Austin at some point.

(* They are just slightly too long to fit in a rhd car)
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: weddingcarclive » Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:50 pm

have a rebuilt servo on the car, I have just had the job done (professionally rebuilt) ?200 in UK and the difference is unbelievable ! you go from will it eventually stop before you hit something to brakes feeling like a modern car
and without servo assistance you are stressing the bulkhead ending up cracking it around the pedal box and that's not nice to maybe one day finding your foot has joined the engine under the hood/bonnet
weddingcarclive
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Donels » Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:45 pm

Spyder do a steel reinforcing plate to strengthen the bulkhead and stop that happening. Probably a good safety improvement if you?re not going to use a servo. Available from EBay.
Elan +2
Elise mk 1
Donels
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Foxie » Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:59 pm

I made up a pedal box reinforcement, a long time ago, which eliminated practically all flexing, both pedal box and steering column.

It's been posted a few times since.

I'm interested in a pic/drawing of the Spyder item ! :)
Attachments
bracingdrg.jpg and
68 Elan +2, 70 Elan +2s
Foxie
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Donels » Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:51 pm

I am unable to copy the EBay page to this site for some reason. But look for ?Lotus Elan +2 pedal box reinforcing plate? and it should take you there.
Elan +2
Elise mk 1
Donels
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: weddingcarclive » Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:45 pm

I made my own plate but here is the link to item on Ebay

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lotus-Elan-2 ... SwnoldMYEn
weddingcarclive
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Foxie » Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:00 am

Donels wrote:I am unable to copy the EBay page to this site for some reason. But look for ?Lotus Elan +2 pedal box reinforcing plate? and it should take you there.

I found that, https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lotus-Elan-2 ... SwnoldMYEn

It is very similar to the one I made up in 2001, and is incorporated in the general stiffening fabrication in the drawing in my previous post.

:)
Attachments
frame.jpg and
68 Elan +2, 70 Elan +2s
Foxie
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: weddingcarclive » Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:01 am

This is the company that totally rebuilds and returns them to look brand new in the north west of UK
Fabulous job they did, returning visually to as new also, all for around ?200

http://www.jlspares.com/
weddingcarclive
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: weddingcarclive » Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:05 am

whoops that will be the servo I am talking about
weddingcarclive
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: gjz30075 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:25 am

Gary, what is the part number / casting number of that Cortina master cylinder with the stepped bore?
Greg Z
45/0243K Sprint
45/7286 S3 SE DHC
gjz30075
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Next

Total Online: