Spacers and bump-stops with TTR suspension in Plus 2

PostPost by: The Veg » Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:08 pm

So these aluminium spacers were under the old bump stops and above the old Konis in my Plus 2. I've now got the TTR setup and the smaller conical stops from DBE (I asked them for something that will fit inside narrow springs). Since the new stops are shorter, am I correct to assume that the spacers should be kept? They don't fit very closely and will probably rattle around, especially as the new stops fit tightly on the damper-rod so they'll probably will stay near the top of the rod rather than resting by gravity upon the spacers. What do the experienced hands among us say?
Attachments
img_20190602_130808.jpg and
Last edited by The Veg on Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1970 Elan Plus 2 (not S) 50/2036
2012 BMW R1200GS
"It just wouldn't be a complete day if I didn't forget something!" -Me
The Veg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Bud English » Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:53 pm

The aluminum spacers on my car were staked to the nut at the top of the strut tube. I had to drill those spots to release the spacer. They didn't float around.

The workshop manual hints that it is an interference fit. Simply tap it into place. Yeah, right. What they meant to say was, tap it into place then use a center punch to stake it to the nut.
Bud
1970 +2S Fed 0053N
"Winnemucca - says it all really!!"
Bud English
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:08 pm

Those new bump stops are just that - bump stops. The Aeon Rubber springs are true springs not bump stops. The spacers bring the Aeons into action sooner improving the handling of a heavily loaded Plus 2. Those bump stops will do nothing in suspension and handling terms and having the spacer will only just stop the suspension travel a bit earlier than other wise which may help from stopping the exhaust hitting the ground but not much else.

If you remove the Aeons you really need to think about either stiffer rear springs or a similar, slimmer progressive rubber spring that will fit inside your narrow springs and not a "bump stop"

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: The Veg » Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:00 pm

OK so anybody with the TTR setup in a Plus 2, what are you using?
2012 BMW R1200GS
The Veg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:49 am

rgh0 wrote:Those new bump stops are just that - bump stops. The Aeon Rubber springs are true springs not bump stops. The spacers bring the Aeons into action sooner improving the handling of a heavily loaded Plus 2. Those bump stops will do nothing in suspension and handling terms and having the spacer will only just stop the suspension travel a bit earlier than other wise which may help from stopping the exhaust hitting the ground but not much else.

If you remove the Aeons you really need to think about either stiffer rear springs or a similar, slimmer progressive rubber spring that will fit inside your narrow springs and not a "bump stop"

cheers
Rohan

Hi Rohan

Any advice on where replacement Aeons with the correct rates can be sourced? I'll be swapping mine out this Summer.

Cheers
JonB
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: snowyelan » Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:30 pm

RD has them on their website, not positive if they're repros or not though.

Edit: Oops. JonB, just noticed your location...
Scott
45/9011
Hawkestone, On, Ca
snowyelan
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: The Veg » Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:49 pm

After posting it occurred to me to ask TTR what they recommend with the setup they sold me. The part number in the reply showed on their site as something that looks like what I got from DBE except in yellow instead of black. Not sure what difference that makes, although the yellow ones would have matched the car's paint better! :mrgreen:
So for now I'm going to not worry about it, but will pay attention once the car is ready to get back on the road.
2012 BMW R1200GS
The Veg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: