Suspension Upgrades?

PostPost by: AusElan » Sun Feb 22, 2004 8:29 am

G'day everyone,
Well finally getting the body off my Plus 2 I have decided to upgrade the suspension as the original equipment is looking rather poor/tired. I was wondering what brand should i go or is there a limited choice? I would also like to know what other people have used? I plan to Road Race some time in the future so im guessing adjustibles are proberly the way to go!?! It would be a great help if people could also give model numbers as well or even places to get them. I am currently in Melbourne, Australia so anyone Downunder with some experience in the matter would also be great to chat 2.
Feel free to email me. \[[email protected]\][email protected]\[/EMAIL\]
Cheers,

Adam C
Lotus Owner from Downunder
AusElan
New-tral

PostPost by: rgh0 » Sun Feb 22, 2004 8:44 am

Hi Adam

Spax with adjustable damping appear to be the only easily available shocks currently. If you intend doing competitions in the future then ones with adjustable platforms to set the suspension height properly are desirable. Steve Taylor at the Elan factory in Melbourne sells them. Koni do not appear to be regularly making new shocks any more for the Elan or Plus 2. Have you joined the Lotus Club Victoria lots of people in the club can help? I am in Melbourne and happy to discuss any issues with your rebuild, I have done a few myself over the years.

Rohan

Elan S4
Elan Plus 2 130/5
Esprit S1
In God I trust.... All others please bring data
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: +2R160 » Mon Feb 23, 2004 4:13 pm

Adam, I was chatting to a few people at the Historic Motorsport Show in the UK on Saturday about this topic. I have a +2 which I use for road/hillclimbs and it has Spax front/rear which came with the car. These are adjustable damping rate but not the later ride height adjustable type. I am in the process of setting the rate, but they go from quite soft to very, very firm and so are probably up to the job (my car is on mildly stiffer/lower springs and is lighter than standard).

There are other options in the UK which you may be able to get in Australia.
AVO (www.avouk.com) do a set of dampers similar to the Spax and others tell me these are better quality, and are fully rebuildable.
Leda (www.leda.com) also do a set, which are more sophisticated (and of course more expensive) than Spax/AVO. These I think give adjustable bump settings on the rear, which the top adjustable Spax/AVO do not (rebound only).
Paul Matty's (www.paulmattysportscars.co.uk) can advise and supply as they have a number of road/competition +2's on their books.
The best option however is probably TTR (www.tonythompsonracing.co.uk) who can do you just dampers or a full set-up including springs etc. The rear dampers are to a special set-up of Tony's - they are Koni but specially valved to suit, though the fronts may be off-the shelf AVO's, but pre-set.

Regards, David.

When I upgrade mine, I will go the TTR route.
+2R160
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: AusElan » Tue Feb 24, 2004 7:10 am

Thanks guys,
That has been a great help. At least know i have some optioins to go down and cheack out.
Rohan i haven't tried to join the Lotus club yet but was planing to in the very near future. Do you by any chance know of who i could contact (email or phone) in reguards to joining, the only web page I seem to come accross is the Queensland Club... It would also be great to chat to you as being a fairly young Lotus owner (22) i need all the help i can get :).

Thanks guys

Adam
AusElan
New-tral

PostPost by: mazlot » Wed Feb 25, 2004 8:31 pm

Adam,
link is here
<a href='http://www.lotusclubvic.asn.au/' target='_blank'>http://www.lotusclubvic.asn.au/</a>

Jeff
Brisbane Queensland
mazlot
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: AusElan » Thu Feb 26, 2004 3:38 am

Dont I feel stupid :blink: ,
I guess it allways pays to try the obvious when it comes to websites. Thanks Jeff. Now ill get on to joining the Club!!

Adam
AusElan
New-tral

Total Online: