Rear Damper Top Nut Question

PostPost by: SENC » Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:07 am

How's it all coming back together, John?
Henry
69 Elan S4
65 Seven S2
SENC
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jbeach » Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:56 pm

Since my last post, I've reassembled my struts, including the new TTR adjustable spring perches, installed my struts on the car, inserted poly bushings in the lower A-arms and installed, and installed torque rods (poly bushings for them too). I plan to install my CV driveshafts and rear calipers this Saturday.

If all of this goes as planned (who am I kidding - it's a Lotus!), I'll add brake fluid and bleed the braking system Sunday. I should then be ready to drive the car around a bit and enjoy this beautiful South Carolina spring weather. In theory.

Because all four corners of my suspension are now height-adjustable, I'll initially set ride height based on body measurements and eyesight. Once I've re-sorted the driving experience, I will corner-weight. I solicit any recommendations you may have on this.

Cheers,

-John

P.S., I'll post a few photos this weekend.
John Beach
'69 Elan S4 DHC - A Work in Progress
jbeach
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: USA64 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:58 pm

More a question than comment; I read somewhere that the Lotus 49 was the first race car stiff enough to make setting up the chassis a worthwhile effort. I wonder if the Elan is really rigid enough for modern precision. I see people getting reinforced "26" frames or heaver Spyder frames, heaver CV joint axles, wider wheels-bigger tires (tyres) and needing stronger, heavier, suspension as result. Are they going off in the wrong direction I wonder? Handling is not the same as max-cornering; you can't race on the street. Let the Elan be an Elan; simplify and add lightness.
We are supposed to be having fun, are we not?
USA64
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: SENC » Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:15 am

USA64 wrote:More a question than comment; I read somewhere that the Lotus 49 was the first race car stiff enough to make setting up the chassis a worthwhile effort. I wonder if the Elan is really rigid enough for modern precision. I see people getting reinforced "26" frames or heaver Spyder frames, heaver CV joint axles, wider wheels-bigger tires (tyres) and needing stronger, heavier, suspension as result. Are they going off in the wrong direction I wonder? Handling is not the same as max-cornering; you can't race on the street. Let the Elan be an Elan; simplify and add lightness.

Good question, and I think we are probably in the same camp. I am changing driveshafts to CVs, not so much for strength as for durability and out of concern for modern donuts - and giving poly bushes a try with expectations of greater durability though a little concern about harshness. If they negatively impact the ride, I'll revert to traditional bushes when I do a full reno in a few years. I'll weigh the CVDS, but dont think I'm adding much, if any, weight. Otherwise, I'm sticking with more traditional style and size tires, shocks, and springs because I'm not racing and that was how the car was designed.
Henry
69 Elan S4
65 Seven S2
SENC
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: USA64 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:29 am

I do wonder how modern some of these rotoflex are. You're not supposed to keep a tire more that 8-10 years. How long have some of these new parts been on the self I would like to know?
We are supposed to be having fun, are we not?
USA64
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:59 am

"Are they going off in the wrong direction I wonder? Handling is not the same as max-cornering; you can't race on the street. Let the Elan be an Elan; simplify and add lightness."

agree completely , a sports car is not a race car......

John :wink:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jbeach » Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:18 pm

It's a very interesting topic. For me (and probably for all of us) there's a balance point between road holding and classic handling. My balance is different from yours, which is different from the next person's.

I have a friend who will not own a car that pulls less than 1 G on the skid pad. I'm more interested in a well-controlled four-wheel drift. And if I can have that fun going around a corner at 45 instead of 70, what's not to love about that?

So, I'm using 155x13 Vredestein Sprint+.

On the other hand, I value durability and precision in my vehicles. For me, that means CVDS, poly bushings everywhere except front wishbones, and front and rear ride height adjustment. As sensitive as the Elan's steering and suspension is, it's my theory that balancing everything as well as possible by corner weighting will provide a benefit.

I DO understand a vehicle would need a certain degree of stiffness for corner weighting to actually be effective. I guess I'll find out whether the Elan has that soon enough....

Cheers,

-John
John Beach
'69 Elan S4 DHC - A Work in Progress
jbeach
Second Gear
Second Gear

Previous

Total Online: