Rear spindles/hub shafts-replace?

PostPost by: Davidb » Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:03 pm

Thanks for the responses.
Frogelan, I am still not up to speed on photographing everything as I work on the car so no photos! And no measurements either-I assumed that the shafts would fit and so just pressed them in. Sorry!

Rohan: Thanks for the reassurance. I have concluded that fitting shims between the caliper and the mounting bracket should resolve the problem. There are no dust shields fitted so the dimensions should be as original.

I find it interesting that the sellers of these shafts, Kelveden, TTR, etc make no mention of the difference between early and later shafts/hubs in their websites. I think this is an oversight.
'65 S2 4844
Davidb
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Craven » Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:13 pm

Is there a dimensional difference at the shaft spider interface, has the dust shield space been included.
p1020678.jpg and
Craven
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Davidb » Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:00 pm

Craven: I don't know! I have fitted both shafts without measuring them-a mistake I now realise.

I may press one out again just to check it.

I sent an email to Kelveden but they have not responded-which is not typical in my dealings with them they have been very responsive. Apparently they are moving so...
'65 S2 4844
Davidb
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Elanman68 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:24 pm

Also Kelvedon have been at Race Retro for the past weekend.
Elanman68
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Davidb » Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:47 pm

Thanks Elanman66--that is a good reason.

I am going to pull the shaft out. I cannot get less than 3 thou run out on the new brake disc and that doesn't seem right-so I am going to check everything again.
'65 S2 4844
Davidb
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Davidb » Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:17 am

I measured everything thoroughly and concluded that the shaft is sitting in the hub OK. I fitted two 75 thou spacers between the caliper and the caliper bracket and that lines up the caliper. The shaft is interesting. I found that I had run-out of three thou on the brake rotor regardless of where I fitted it on the shaft. I managed to measure-with a dial gauge- the inside and out side of both sides of each 'tine' and found one had two extra thou-but on the side that faces the driveshaft-the side that faces the brake rotor everything was perfectly true. So the machining of the rotor mating surfaces is good but the other not so much... I had to conclude that the brake rotor, which has about 1000 miles of use, but fitted to the old spindle/shaft, is three thou out of true--presumably caused by the out of true old shaft-I will see how it feels...

Edit: The opposite side rotor run-out is within 1 thou.
'65 S2 4844
Davidb
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Davidb » Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:43 pm

I just went back through this thread and found this response from Craven-So I did the right thing! Sorry for missing this earlier:

Later drive shaft, can be used in the early hub ( issue 16 ) with narrow bearing by simply fitting an available spacer between the bearing and circlip groove.
If you want to use the later shaft and wide bearing you need to change the upright/hub to issue 18 which takes the wide inner bearing but it keeps the same outer bearing.
Craven
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

'65 S2 4844
Davidb
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Davidb » Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:42 pm

'65 S2 4844
Davidb
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear