Elan S4 tyres

PostPost by: chrisbeck » Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:33 am

Can anyone out there help me make a decision? My Dunlop SP 6' s that I bought when starting the restoration are virtually unworn but are dated 1992 so have to go.
Can I justify Michelin XAS at ?153 +vat each just because they are the only tyres now available at a speed rating above 'T'. Realistically I shall never exceed the 118 mph rating. Actually, I now realise my old Dunlops are only T rated!
How do I choose a tyre that will suit the suspension and weight of the Elan? There are a lot of 155/80R13 tyres availble, from cheap Chinese jobs to the major manufacturers, with prices from ?23 to ?40. I'm not worried about wear rate and don't drive intentionally in the wet.
Your experiences and help would be appreciated,
Thanks.
1970 Lotus Elan S4 SE
1973 Lotus Europa Special (under restoration)
1990 Morgan +8
chrisbeck
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:01 pm

Have you had a look at current track-day tyres? They are not all of the "slick with a few grooves" variety.

I'll be looking to buy some tyres in a few months and I don't think any of us will ever wear out a set of new road tyres before they go out of date. My current set must be 15 years old and have minimal sign of wear.

On my project car there are Dunlop SP Sports with 20 miles on the clock from new but they are well out of date too.
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jimj » Sat Dec 31, 2016 3:15 pm

"I don't think any of us will ever wear out a set ". Pete, you should get out more. Mine wear out every couple of years or less. I took the advice of someone here and fitted Uniroyal Rainexperts, not because I choose to drive in the wet but for when it rains, and wet road grip is up there with good brakes as paramount.
They`re fine in the dry and not expensive.
Jim
jimj
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Orsom Weels » Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:29 pm

My S4 currently has Uniroyal Rainex's, but will soon require something new & it will almost certainly be Kumho KH21's. I've recently fitted a set to my +2, on the recommendation of my tyre man & having used them on other cars in my stable. I can't fault them! They have excellent grip in both wet & dry, brilliant wear characteristics, & are very quiet on the vast majority of road surfaces. Also, they don't look out of place on a classic car, unlike some modern tyres. You should be able to find them at about ?30 - ?35 a piece fitted & balanced.
Here are a few reasons to make them worth consideration in my eyes.
Kumho is an excellant value for money mid range tyre brand, & is among the top ten tyre makers in the world, sold in over 180 countries including the UK.
They are the leading supplier of tyres for Formula 3 racing and a class winner at Le Mans 24 Hours, 2007.
Almost 60 million tyres are produced every year by Kumho factories in SE Asia for use with cars, 4x4s, vans and lorries.
Kumho now provide tyres as original equipment to top quality manufacturers like Chevrolet, Chrysler, Hyundai, Mercedes , Mitsubishi, Smart, Volkswagen and others.

No connection with Kumho, other than being a very satisfied customer.

Regards, Tim
Orsom Weels
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: chrisbeck » Sat Dec 31, 2016 8:22 pm

Thanks for the recommendation Tim.
1970 Lotus Elan S4 SE
1973 Lotus Europa Special (under restoration)
1990 Morgan +8
chrisbeck
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: SENC » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:51 pm

Chris - did you go with the Kumhos? What did you think?

I've just gotten quotes also for 155/80/13s for:
- Uniroyal Tiger Paw AWP II ($71/corner)
- Ironman GR906 ($41/corner)

Anyone have any experience with these?
Henry
69 Elan S4
65 Seven S2
SENC
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: umbyfer » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:55 am

Rear Tire, size problem using new modern tires. I used to use Dunlop SP10 155/80 13 in my sprint in original setting without any problems; now the SP10 are dicontinued and replaced by the Dunlop SP Streetresponse. Here the problem on the rear: they are wider than SP10 about 7 mm. The "shoulder of the tire" is more round; The SP10 was straight. The consequence is that the tire touchs the rear plate supporting the spring of the suspension.
I am looking for tires with straight shoulder. Thank you for any info from your experience.
Umberto Ferrari
Modena - Italy
Elan Sprint 7108000193K
Elite SII #1319
umbyfer
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: el-saturn » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:58 pm

just because there is an alternative which IS a good modern tyre thats good for 210kmh: the A539 by yokohama. this is NOT a typical tyre you're mentioning: NONE of those tyres are any good for OUR cars, especially the ones with 130+ hp!!!! the next step forward would be (btw) all these semi slicks! sandy
el-saturn
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Grizzly » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:17 pm

Pirelli P3000 on stock steel wheels.

I'd like to say i did loads of reading up / testing first but frankly i went on MyTyres.co.uk and ordered some good summer tyres with a good review that where around the price i had in mind.

I actively avoid the rain but i don't drive like a nutter if it does rain, my car is a four speed so i don't like taking it over 70/80mph anyway........ Plus they have tubes in them so the tyre speed rating doesn't mean allot.

I can't fault the Pirelli's for what i use them for.

All that said i have Uniroyal Rainsport 2 on my +2 and Rainsport 3 on my every day and their very good.
Chris
Grizzly
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rady32md » Fri May 19, 2017 9:51 am

Michelin is on the expensive side, but they really have a good tread life.
rady32md
New-tral

PostPost by: MartinH » Fri May 19, 2017 6:21 pm

Have run XAS on my S3/4 for the last few years, the rears have had it but, loads left on the fronts. They are excellent tyres on the road and for the track day stuff.

I want to put Plus2 brakes on the front so will have to go to 14inch wheels but, being a bit tight don't want to throw away the good fronts, so have just ordered some Nankang Econex 165/55/13 H rated tyres to put on the rears until the fronts have finished. ?36 each from Openeo online. I am going to fit them next week and then go to Castle Combe, which should be a good test.

Martin
1967 Elan convertible S4 body and Spyder chassis
Ducati Monster S4
Ducati 1098s
MartinH
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Fri May 19, 2017 6:33 pm

Standard +2 front brakes fit in 13" wheels. The +2 came with 13" wheels...
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: MartinH » Fri May 19, 2017 6:39 pm

I tried them and without grinding off some of the caliper they don't fit on my car with standard steel knock on wheels. Grinding off some brake caliper feels a little wrong to me so will go the bigger wheel route.

Martin
1967 Elan convertible S4 body and Spyder chassis
Ducati Monster S4
Ducati 1098s
MartinH
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: el-saturn » Fri May 19, 2017 7:23 pm

..another reason why i must say: don't buy the A539 yokos, as there finished in 2000kms! i buy the tyres which match a cars performance and this XAS and similiar stuff you folks are always referring to would peel off the rims of my car and would reduce corner speed by 84,327% ----------- to be precise: or simply said: no guts no fun!!! sandy - a race crazy or infected elan driver: TYRES are btw HALF OR YOUR car, so please give us some REAL new tyre input and PLEASE no more about tyres for cars maxing 55,5mph (or tyres for disabled rides!!) excuse me sandy or tell us how many laps (silverstone) can you get out of a set of 048s soft???
el-saturn
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Mon May 22, 2017 9:24 am

I have fitted +2 calipers and discs on my sprint no problem. Knock on standard wheels.
You need to fit the +2 caliper mounting brackets also
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Next

Total Online: