Knock On's vs Bolt Ons

PostPost by: Elan45 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:41 pm

Frank and all,

I had also wondered about the source for the larger uprights and spindles, since I realized long ago that the KO Elans pre-dated the GT6. I think you've solved that issue w/ the Vitesse. I'm sure there must have been some F1 or F2 car that used the larger components, because the designer knew they were available.

Also, they were supplied by Alford & Alder to Triumph as well as Lotus.

As far as the B-O hub puller, I made one, in 2 pieces so it comes apart for easier storage in my tool box. It is in Ohio & I'm in Florida. Don't know about the "home made" one on our web site, but I believe I have a set of photos w/ me showing how I made it. I'm sure you could do it Frank, but it required use of a lathe and welding .

There is a fellow out in western US who makes aluminum radiators for Spitfire and a variant he claims for Elan. He also used to sell a hub puller for same on Ebay. The puller was reasonable price and I thought about buying one, just because it was nice and already made. But, I didn't buy one, can't remember why I thought it was neat, but you might try to find one of those.

I'll try to find the photos of my puller for you.

Roger
'67 Elan S3 SS DHC
'67 Elan FHC pre-airflow
'67 Elan S3 SE upgrade to 26R by Original owner
'58 Eleven S2 (ex-works)
'62 20/22 FJ (ex-Yamura)
'70 Elan +2S RHD
'61 20 FJ project
'76 Modus M1 F3
Elan45
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Elan45 » Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:21 am

mvc-243s.jpg and
mvc-242s.jpg and
Frank,

Here's pics of my B-O hub puller. I also made a pair of K-O hub pullers about 35 years ago.

Roger
Attachments
mvc-246s.jpg and
mvc-245s.jpg and
mvc-244s.jpg and
'67 Elan S3 SS DHC
'67 Elan FHC pre-airflow
'67 Elan S3 SE upgrade to 26R by Original owner
'58 Eleven S2 (ex-works)
'62 20/22 FJ (ex-Yamura)
'70 Elan +2S RHD
'61 20 FJ project
'76 Modus M1 F3
Elan45
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Famous Frank » Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:31 am

Roger,

Great photos. Thank you. I'll be making one soon! Now if I could only find my lathe. I know it's in my basement someplace!

Greg got me out to my storage shop for a few hours Thursday and again yesterday. The hubs are all switched over!!! Hurrah!

1owner69Elan - Thank you again for selling me your knock off hub removal tool. It works great! Thank you.

And my two eared puller got the bolt on hubs off by applying tension and the whacking it with a hammer. I must say one did come off as if it was shot from a cannon!

This was a pleasant project and is always more fun when working with someone else. Thank you Greg!

There were a number of obstacles. The two biggest were the tie rod ends didn't want to come out of the steering arms. The pickle fork I purchased kept bending and wouldn't do the job. My friend Bob loaned me one that was like the one mentioned earlier in this thread. Worked like a dream.

Then the Trunnion bolts were totally frozen. The nuts came off with no problem but the bolts were frozen to the sleeve. The bolts would not come out no matter what we did. Nothing a muffler cutting disc couldn't take care of.

What a great day to start the New Year! Happy New Year! Thank you everyone!
Famous Frank

67 Elan Coupe
66 Elan S2 SE
65 Elan S2
65 Elan 26R
69 S2 Europa
06 Elise
67 Barracuda
Famous Frank
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Previous